Off-Road Tips, Tricks, and Stories

Share information about sports, exploring the desert, hiking, etc.

Off-Road Tips, Tricks, and Stories

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:47 am

Physics Of Bumpy Roads: What Makes Roads Ripple Like A Washboard?
Because inquiring minds want to know... bouncer
Just about any road with a loose surface — sand or gravel or snow — develops ripples that make driving a very shaky experience. A team of physicists from Canada, France and the United Kingdom have recreated this "washboard" phenomenon in the lab with surprising results: ripples appear even when the springy suspension of the car and the rolling shape of the wheel are eliminated. The discovery may smooth the way to designing improved suspension systems that eliminate the bumpy ride.

LINK: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090707131834.htm
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Re: Off-Road Tips, Tricks, and Stories

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:01 am

Washboard can result in a jarring experience. I've had many rough rides on washboard. It's too bad there isn't some kind of hover craft available to help smooth out rides into the backcountry!
:sunshine:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Most people air down their tires in order to smooth out the ride over washboard. Usually they drop to about 15-24 psi depending on the terrain. To air back up most people take along some kind of compressor. It's a little bit of a hassle, but it helps make the ride smoother and also it reduces the chances of tire damage.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:44 am

cactuspete wrote:Most people air down their tires in order to smooth out the ride over washboard. Usually they drop to about 15-24 psi depending on the terrain. To air back up most people take along some kind of compressor. It's a little bit of a hassle, but it helps make the ride smoother and also it reduces the chances of tire damage.

Most people I know are too lazy to air down when off-roading. And for the most part it doesn't seem to make all that much difference. I've talked to some people who swear that airing down is absolutely necessary, but most people seem to get by without it. The advantages seem to be slight and the hassle seems a little too much for the meager gains, IMHO.
:chill:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:44 am

desertrat wrote:
cactuspete wrote:Most people air down their tires in order to smooth out the ride over washboard. Usually they drop to about 15-24 psi depending on the terrain. To air back up most people take along some kind of compressor. It's a little bit of a hassle, but it helps make the ride smoother and also it reduces the chances of tire damage.

Most people I know are too lazy to air down when off-roading. And for the most part it doesn't seem to make all that much difference. I've talked to some people who swear that airing down is absolutely necessary, but most people seem to get by without it. The advantages seem to be slight and the hassle seems a little too much for the meager gains, IMHO.
:chill:

If yer too lazy to be diligent, then you deserve any grief that comes your way. That's what I say!
:4x4:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:39 am

I talked to a guy yesterday in Panamint Valley who does a lot of off-road driving. He recommended Yokohama Geolander tires. He said that he'd gone through several sets of tires over the past several years and that the Geolanders had lasted longer than any other set he'd had. He purchased them at Motion Tires in Ridgecrest, BTW. Here's a couple links for more info about Yokohama Geolanders:
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar_mt.aspx
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar_ats.aspx
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:51 am

blackturtle.us wrote:I talked to a guy yesterday in Panamint Valley who does a lot of off-road driving. He recommended Yokohama Geolander tires. He said that he'd gone through several sets of tires over the past several years and that the Geolanders had lasted longer than any other set he'd had. He purchased them at Motion Tires in Ridgecrest, BTW. Here's a couple links for more info about Yokohama Geolanders:

Do you own stock in Yokohama or have a friend at Motion Tires? It sounds like your either plugging the product or the business or both! :nono:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:01 am

shadylady wrote:
blackturtle.us wrote:I talked to a guy yesterday in Panamint Valley who does a lot of off-road driving. He recommended Yokohama Geolander tires. He said that he'd gone through several sets of tires over the past several years and that the Geolanders had lasted longer than any other set he'd had. He purchased them at Motion Tires in Ridgecrest, BTW. Here's a couple links for more info about Yokohama Geolanders:

Do you own stock in Yokohama or have a friend at Motion Tires? It sounds like your either plugging the product or the business or both! :nono:

:funny:
I assure you that I have no reason to promote Yokohama or Motion Tires. I don't own any Yokohama products and although I have purchased tires at Motion Tires on a couple occasions, I have also purchased tires at A&L Tires on Inyokern Road. I was pleased with the service I received at both Motion and A&L. Further, the person who made the recommendation is someone I know has extensive off-road experience and so I don't take his recommendation lightly. I doubt he is in anyway affiliated with the tire company or the tire shop that he spoke of.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby cactuspete » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:56 am

Darwin Loop in 5 mins :popcorn:
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Return to Outdoor Recreation