Trona Tennis Club?

Share information about sports, exploring the desert, hiking, etc.

Trona Tennis Club?

Postby surfsteve » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Just came across this weird video of some guy who leaves his wife to find his purpose in life at the tennis club in Trona which looks like it's actually just some fenced off area of the high school and of the lake.

surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Trona Tennis Club?

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:34 pm

surfsteve wrote:Just came across this weird video of some guy who leaves his wife to find his purpose in life at the tennis club in Trona which looks like it's actually just some fenced off area of the high school and of the lake.

I didn't watch the entire thing, but I'm pretty sure those are the tennis courts at Valley Wells (next to the golf course). A few other locations looked familiar also. Also there used to be tennis courts at the high school on the north side of the gym.
panamint_patty
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:36 am

Strangely enough we went down valley wells road yesterday and I saw the tennis courts you are talking about. I think you are right. Wound up exploring an abandoned mine. It was quite an experience. I had never been in a mine before. It must have gone on at least a quarter mile. Had my camera in my pocket but forgot all about it. There's always next time. A couple of days ago I went to Indian Joe's. Took some videos and pictures but haven't even looked at them. Is Argus peak the one above the basin of the upper gardens?
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:42 am

surfsteve wrote:Strangely enough we went down valley wells road yesterday and I saw the tennis courts you are talking about. I think you are right. Wound up exploring an abandoned mine. It was quite an experience. I had never been in a mine before. It must have gone on at least a quarter mile. Had my camera in my pocket but forgot all about it. There's always next time. A couple of days ago I went to Indian Joe's. Took some videos and pictures but haven't even looked at them. Is Argus peak the one above the basin of the upper gardens?

Argus Peak would be west of the Upper Gardens. It would also be quite a hike from there. Most people start the hike from Crow Canyon (via Homewood Canyon). Just in case you don't know, Argus Peak is within the boundaries of China Lake military base. I've never heard of the military hassling anybody hiking the peak, but they would certainly have the legal right to do so if they decided to.
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:15 pm

I found an elevation map

If I follow the road all the way up homewood canyon does it go over a ridge into crow canyon?
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:42 am

Continue on the dirt road when the pavement stops beyond the Ruth Mine. Another dirt road takes off to the south and heads over the hill and then steep down into Crow Canyon. When you hit the bottom of the canyon turn right and continue for a ways until you reach the end of the dirt road. There will be a no trespassing sign near this area that you'll notice when you get out of your car and look to the west towards the canyon passage. If I remember correctly the dirt road that goes over the hill from Homewood might be the second such road and last time I drove it there were a lot of ruts. High clearance necessary and 4wd would probably help a lot!
:4x4:
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:53 am

How close will I be able to get in a geo with 2 bald tires? (supposed to be getting new tires today if I can find some on sale.) Can I get within 1/2 mile or so?
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:06 am

you can make it to Ruth Mine on the balled tires. after that it is dirt. I think you can go about anoyher .5-1 mi from there ........either was bring a shovel and jack just in case. in my truck the road was easy money in 2wd, not too rocky. Ruts, I think will be the bigger obstetrical till you really start to climb. If you haven't explored The Ruth mine area get out and do it. It's worth the trip just for that.
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:31 am

I went up there yesterday. Went past Ruth mine. The trail splits just past there and I should have gone off to the left but instead I stayed and went forward, parking just before the second set of ruts. I followed the trail to the end and there was a spring that a 4WD could drive to.

I climbed all the way up the crevice and there were several dead fruit trees that had died many years ago. When I got to the top I could see the other road that I should have gone up just below a blue dot that was my car. I decided to climb down to the bottom of crow canyon and try and find the trail that went over and take it back. I went down another crevice that dead ended into a spring that had been fenced off and started again on the other side. When I got to the bottom I picked up a jeep trail and followed it down the canyon till it ended. I continued down a little more and saw a small crevice and took it to the top only to find a huge mountain over the next valley between me and Homewood canyon. I followed it down and transversed around the biggest part of the peak and climbed to the ridge to have a look. I had to climb down a ways and was actually a little worried that I may have gotten lost before I finally saw a glimpse of the road and even when I finally did the view to my car was obscured by a mountain. I was glad when I could finally see it. From way up where I was It only looked like I over shot the car by a few feet but it must have been at least a quarter mile.

Looking back I'm not really sure which one was argus peak or if my view to the top was obscured. It seems like it should have been directly in front of me when I was at the top overlooking crow canyon but it didn't look big enough and the peak off to my right a few miles away looked like it was bigger.

I'm going to have to break down and buy one of those topographical maps. I wonder if they have them at the Walmart in Ridgecrest.

Seems to me like it might be better to just drive up to Crow canyon road way below the mine and take it up the canyon as far as it goes and access argus peak that way. How far up can you get that way?
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:35 pm

http://www.mapquest.com/maps
Does this help.

Going up Crow Canyon makes more sense to me, but there might be private property/access problem. I don't think I've been to the end of the rd in crow cyn ever.

here is a map that really sucks but it is free. it sucks cause of water marks and it is slow. but you can read it faster than a trip into R/C.
http://www.terraserver.com/
It is faster to zoom in first then change it to topo.
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:01 am

Todd's Outdoor Supply :conf003:
Don't know if they still have topos at Todd's or not, but they used to. Also this book of maps is handy to have:
http://www.amazon.com/California-Atlas-Gazetteer-Delorme/dp/0899333834/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_4
TODDS: http://local.yahoo.com/info-21245554-todd-s-outdoor-supply-ridgecrest
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:23 pm

Todd's is at the corner of Norma and Ridgecrest Blvd. in the old Rinaldi's Market bldg.
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to Outdoor Recreation