Best Off-Road Vehicles

Share information about sports, exploring the desert, hiking, etc.

Re: Jeep Wrangler Suspension

Postby FlyingPig » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:57 am

Jeep on 44" boggers! Testing the steering...
Something useless this way comes! :funny:
FlyingPig
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby a2z » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:21 pm

a2z
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:58 am

Idiot Gets Truck Stuck In Mud!
:laughingx2:
sandman
Cantankerous Mule

Postby FlyingPig » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:52 am

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport with Lift kit
A little wide for some of the roads around here, but otherwise nice... :popcorn:
FlyingPig
Fleabitten Varmint

Best Off-Road Vehicles

Postby pcslim » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:43 am

Top Ten Unmodified Off-Road Vehicles :4x4:
Not saying I agree with this list, but here it is:
1. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
2. Toyota 4Runner Trail
3. Ford F-150 SVT Raptor
4. Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
5. Ram Power Wagon
6. Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
7. Toyota FJ Cruiser
8. Land Rover LR4
9. Nissan Frontier
10. Jeep Grand Cherokee
LINK: http://www.leftlanenews.com/the-10-most-off-road-capable-trucks-and-suvs-you-can-buy-new-feature.html
pcslim
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Best Off-Road Vehicles

Postby desertrat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:14 am

Interesting list. I agree that the Rubicon belongs at the top, but after that things get a little wacky! Going by what I've seen around Death Valley I'd drop the Ford and the Ram several spots. I'd also put the Xterra and the FJ in the second and third spots (not necessarily in that order) on the list. I'm not sure how the person who made the list justifies the rankings, but my experience and observations cause me to conclude that he's way off!
:wtf:
desertrat
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:15 pm

desertrat wrote:Interesting list. I agree that the Rubicon belongs at the top, but after that things get a little wacky! Going by what I've seen around Death Valley I'd drop the Ford and the Ram several spots. I'd also put the Xterra and the FJ in the second and third spots (not necessarily in that order) on the list. I'm not sure how the person who made the list justifies the rankings, but my experience and observations cause me to conclude that he's way off!
:wtf:

Half that list is either Jeep or Toyota and probably more than half the vehicles I see while off-road are either Jeeps or Toyotas, so that much seems reasonable. I'm not sure about how the rankings were arrived at though. I think pretty much everyone agrees that the Rubicon should be in the number one spot, but then after that there's a lot of room for debate. I'm surprised to see the Ford listed so high on the list and I'm surprised that the Ram was even on the list. It's hard to have an opinion about Land Rovers since you hardly ever see them out on the trail. But then, I've got to ask, what about Humvees? Why aren't there any Humvees on the list?
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Postby FlyingPig » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:42 am

Unmodified? That takes all the fun out of it. But I've seen plenty of Rams and plenty of Fords out in the boondocks! :thumb:
FlyingPig
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby mrfish » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:57 am

FlyingPig wrote:Unmodified? That takes all the fun out of it. But I've seen plenty of Rams and plenty of Fords out in the boondocks! :thumb:

Ummm... the Rams and Fords I've seen "out in the boondocks" have all been broken down! :laughingx2:
mrfish
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:44 pm

mrfish wrote:
FlyingPig wrote:Unmodified? That takes all the fun out of it. But I've seen plenty of Rams and plenty of Fords out in the boondocks! :thumb:

Ummm... the Rams and Fords I've seen "out in the boondocks" have all been broken down! :laughingx2:

x2 :popcorn:
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby FlyingPig » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:55 am

James Sel wrote:
mrfish wrote:

x2 :popcorn:

Laugh now, but I'll be the one laughing when one of you driving a jeep, toyota, or nissan wind up getting towed to safety by a Ram or Ford when you break down out in the middle of nowhere!
:tumbleweed:
FlyingPig
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby desertrat » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:30 pm

FlyingPig wrote:Laugh now, but I'll be the one laughing when one of you driving a jeep, toyota, or nissan wind up getting towed to safety by a Ram or Ford when you break down out in the middle of nowhere!
:tumbleweed:

I'm more likely to get hit by lightning while standing in the middle of Saline Valley on a cloudless day, than to be towed out of anywhere by a Ram or a Ford! In fact, I doubt that a Ram or Ford could tow it's way out of the open end of a wet paper bag! Okay, I jest a little, those cars might not deserve to be on the top ten list posted at the beginning of this thread, but they would make the top two spots on the top ten most worthless hunk of junk list!
desertrat
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to Outdoor Recreation