Local Cabins

Share information about sports, exploring the desert, hiking, etc.

Re: Local Cabins

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Originally posted by bruce66 2010-03-13:
I've been to a couple cabins in Panamint Valley, but I'm not sure what they're called. One we saw was near Lookout City and it must have been the Minnietta Cabin. There were people already there when we stopped by and so we didn't stay long. It looked like a nice cabin though. I prefer to just sleep in the back of a truck when I stay the night somewhere out in the desert, but that's me, I guess!
:4x4:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Originally posted by jeepnut 2010-03-12:
There's also the cabin in the canyon behind Lookout City. I drove up there back in the 90s, but since then the BLM closed that road. It's not much of a cabin. Just one room, but it's kind of neat. That road behind Lookout City used to go to Darwin is my understanding, but if you drive up it (or hike up it now) you eventually come to a military gate. Interesting history in that area!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:19 pm

desertrat 2010-03-22:
Don't think anyone mentioned the cabin up Jail Canyon. Not much of a cabin, but at one time that mine camp must have been a nice place. There are some really neat ruins a short hike up a little ways through the vegetation from the mine camp. You can drive right up to the old mine camp if you have a sufficiently rugged vehicle. There's another cabin further up the canyon from the ruins that's on the verge of collapse. Not the kind of structure to spend the night in, but kind of neat to visit.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Sandman 2010-03-26:
There's an old cabin up at the Keynot mine thats in original condition. It's very remote and tough to get to. A real treasure is the Spark Plug Mine complex up in the White Mountains north of Bishop. One of the old bunk houses even has a museum with an extensive mineral collection. Bunk houses are first come, first served and there are several. It's maintained by volunteers with an aggreement with the USFS. It's not too bad of a hike to get in there but just far enough to keep the rif raf out.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Jamessel 2010-03-26:
Lou lives at Porter Ranch He was once the care taker of Ballarat.
he has been there since he let Ballarat.

Cabins: Siebert ,McIver, Buckhorn (boxcar) ,Astro Artz, Rita's place, Stone & Briggs, Minietta, Thompson canyon, jail canyon, Barker Ranch, World Beater, Lee flat, Edith E, Dawson, Migus Mead, Kopper King, Osborne, Newman, Russell's camp Geologist, Stella's Redland canyon, Post office on the Bonanza trail and 2 more in area, Dark Horse, Not sure About the White Swan House, (maybe the Black Turtle knows about that one might have been removed), Beverage, Bighorn Mine, Frenchy's, Stone Canyon, Ruth Mine (the bunkhouse was burnt down.)....Cabins
I found the site of White Swan. last spring it was bulldozed by the BLM. the site is near Viking mine off the 190. and I found Jake's place and the wooden cabin near it. on day I'll go up to salt tram area.
Last edited by REPOSTER on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:24 pm

jeepnut 2010-03-27:
The cabin foundations at Riley are interesting to inspect. There were probably a couple dozen structures there at one time and it's fun to wander through the ruins and imagine what the little town must have been like back when mining operations were in full swing there. Also over in Water Canyon there are the remains of a couple cabins worth visiting. Nothing you could stay in, but fun to take a look at.
:tumbleweed:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

desertrat 2010-03-30:
There's a shack just a little ways north of Water Canyon in Panamint Valley that's not too far off the highway. I think the mine there was called the Whittaker or something like that. The shack I'm talking about isn't much, but it's clear that there was a lot more there a few decades ago! There are also some foundations not too far from there at the old Onyx Mine. Those buildings were still standing not all that long ago, but they're all bulldozed away now!
:cry2:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

cactuspete 2010-04-03:
There are reports that "the small cabin at Warm Springs Talc Mine Camp" caught fire last week. The story is that someone left hot coals going and that somehow this sparked a fire. The fire is said to have been confined to the small cabin and that the fire was caught before a great deal of damage was done. It would be interesting to see pictures of the damage.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:29 pm

pcslim 2010-04-06:
cactuspete wrote:There are reports that "the small cabin at Warm Springs Talc Mine Camp" caught fire last week. The story is that someone left hot coals going and that somehow this sparked a fire. The fire is said to have been confined to the small cabin and that the fire was caught before a great deal of damage was done. It would be interesting to see pictures of the damage.

Here's a picture posted at deathvalley.com of the damage done to the small cabin at Warm Springs. It doesn't look too extensive. No actual structural damage shown in the picture anyways!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:36 pm

desertrat 2010-04-09:
The Aquarius Travertine Mine just west of Slate Range Crossing is an interesting site. There's not much left of it, but there still is a single shack left standing. At one time it appears as if there may have been three or four structures. Now there's just a few foundations and scattered debris.
Desert Magazine 1973 wrote:The mine lay four miles north at the point where the Slate butts against the Argus Range to effectively separate Panamint from Searles Valley. Just before the highway climbed a narrow summit in the Slates, we turned west onto a dirt road. A sign announced, "AquariusTravertine Mine 1 1/2 miles." In a few minutes we entered the mine property.The access road is good and passable for all cars and trailers.

There is another interesting locale to visit during the trip to the Aquarius. It is a quartz prospect on a slope one-half mile west. It can readily be seen from the campground. This material, referred to as agate, is of an unusual, robin's-egg blue color. Some specimens contain black inclusions and striking cabochons may be cut from it. Lloyd will be glad to give further information and directions. Small specimens will be found at the dump shown on the map. There is no charge for collecting.

Check out: http://www.scribd.com/doc/2404202/197306-Desert-Magazine-1973-June
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:37 pm

blackturtle.us 2010-04-25:
Check out pictures of the Warm Springs group of cabins (including the one that got burnt) here:
http://www.blackturtle.us/DV_SITES/BUTTE/
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:40 pm

shadylady 2010-05-03:
Jamessel wrote:Cabins: Siebert ,McIver, Buckhorn (boxcar) ,Astro Artz, Rita's place, Stone & Briggs, Minietta, Thompson canyon, jail canyon, Barker Ranch, World Beater, Lee flat, Edith E, Dawson, Migus Mead, Kopper King, Osborne, Newman, Russell's camp Geologist, Stella's Redland canyon, Post office on the Bonanza trail and 2 more in area, Dark Horse, Not sure About the White Swan House, (maybe the Black Turtle knows about that one might have been removed), Beverage, Bighorn Mine, Frenchy's, Stone Canyon, Ruth Mine (the bunkhouse was burnt down.)....Cabins

I've always been unclear on which cabin is called Stella's cabin. Is it the one in Wood Canyon near Striped Butte?
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoor Recreation