Local Cabins

Share information about sports, exploring the desert, hiking, etc.

Re: Local Cabins

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:03 pm

Originally posted by wildrose 2010-03-03:
The Kopper King Cabin is probably the quickest to get to from Trona. You just drive into Panamint Valley and then veer slightly left onto Nadeau Road. After three or four miles you take a dirt road west past the Onyx Mine and up into a canyon. The road gets a little bit rough towards the end, but nothing too serious. The cabin has a great wood-burning stove and a neat outhouse. It's located near a mine shaft and tunnel. It's a popular destination this time of year. In fact, most of the cabins around here get a lot of visits during the spring and the fall - when the weather is fairly moderate.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Local Cabins

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:03 pm

Originally posted by shadylady 2010-03-02:
A friend asked me about the local cabins that are worth visiting in Searles and Panamint Valley and the immediate area. I told her about the Minnietta Cabin and the Briggs Cabin and she wound up asking if there was a list of local cabins. I told her that it's my understanding that the BLM discourages people from listing cabins, but I promised her that I'd start a thread her asking people to list local cabins and provide general directions or locations of the the cabins. She was mostly interested in cabins that one could stay the night in, but I see no reason that we couldn't list cabins that are no longer in that kind of shape. Just an idea.

I'll start things out by providing the location of the Briggs Cabin. It's located in South Park Canyon, which is in the Panamint Range just east of Ballarat. To get to the Briggs Cabin you're going to need a high clearance vehicle that can handle rugged dirt roads. This time of year the Briggs Cabin is a pretty popular destination and so you should expect company!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:04 pm

Originally posted by desertrat 2010-03-03:
There's also one in Osbourne Canyon just north of Lookout City. I think they call it the Surprise Mine Camp. That cabin is almost as nice as the one at Kopper King. The road going up to that cabin isn't too bad either.
:4x4:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:07 pm

Originally posted by pcslim 2010-03-04:
cactuspete wrote:I've been to the Minnietta, the one in Osbourne, the Kopper King, the ones in Butte Valley and Goler Wash, but my favorites are the ones in Surprise Canyon. Of course, you've got to hike a ways, all up hill, to get to them, but there are a couple really nice cabins up there! Also there are a couple cabins in Pleasant Canyon and there's the Weston Cabin in Happy Canyon. On top of that there are a lot of foundations all over the place!

It used to be possible to drive all the way up Surprise Canyon before the early 1980s when the road got washed out. Even during the 1990s it was permissible to winch over the falls, but since then the BLM has closed the area off to vehicular access and so now it's necessary to hike. The lower part of the canyon is now thick with willows and even hiking through all that vegetation is difficult. But it's true, if you can get up to Panamint City there are some nice cabins to visit and even stay the night in if someone doesn't beat you to it!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:07 pm

Originally posted by cactuspete 2010-03-04:
I've been to the Minnietta, the one in Osbourne, the Kopper King, the ones in Butte Valley and Goler Wash, but my favorites are the ones in Surprise Canyon. Of course, you've got to hike a ways, all up hill, to get to them, but there are a couple really nice cabins up there! Also there are a couple cabins in Pleasant Canyon and there's the Weston Cabin in Happy Canyon. On top of that there are a lot of foundations all over the place!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Originally posted by wildrose 2010-03-04:
Anyone have any info on the history of the Indian Ranch? I visited there for an hour or so several years back and noticed a pool, a couple structures, and some trailers. I even got to see the waterfall, but I've never gotten much information about the place! What other private land holdings are there in Panamint Valley besides the Briggs Mine and PSR?
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:09 pm

Originally posted by desertrat 2010-03-05:
wildrose wrote:Anyone have any info on the history of the Indian Ranch? I visited there for an hour or so several years back and noticed a pool, a couple structures, and some trailers. I even got to see the waterfall, but I've never gotten much information about the place! What other private land holdings are there in Panamint Valley besides the Briggs Mine and PSR?

I'm pretty sure someone still lives at the Porter Mine cabin. Don't know for sure. It's been a couple years, but last time I was up there the gate leading to the cabin was locked. For those who don't know, the Porter Mine cabin is located in Happy Canyon. Access is up Pleasant Canyon. It's the same basic route you take to visit the Weston Cabin. Most people park on the saddle between Happy and Pleasant, but there is a road leading to the aforementioned cabin, but a locked gate blocks the road just east of the saddle.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Originally posted by frequent flyer 2010-03-06:
What does the Westin cabin have to offer? Water? Heat?
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Originally posted by desertrat 2010-03-06:
frequent flyer wrote:What does the Westin cabin have to offer? Water? Heat?

Not sure what shape it's currently in, but at one time it had water, solar panels, an outhouse, fruit trees, and a wood burning stove. It was a paradise for the Westons when they were living in it. It's enough of a walk to get to so that it may not be thrashed, but no guarantees and I haven't heard much one way or the other for some time. It's a little smaller than many of the other cabins in the area, but the front porch and fruit trees make it seem bigger than is actually the case. There are some pictures on the host site for this forum.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Originally posted by MojaveMike 2010-03-07:
Don't forget about the World Beater. That's a really nice cabin and it's fairly easy to get to. Right up Pleasant Canyon from Ballarat! There's also Rita's Cabin, but last time I was there it was a big beat up and dingy! Is there a name for the cabin that's over at the top of South Park in the pinyons? It's in horrible shape now, but at one time that would have been a very nice cabin in an awesome location!!!
:sunshine:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Originally posted by hogwild 2010-03-08:
MojaveMike wrote:Don't forget about the World Beater. That's a really nice cabin and it's fairly easy to get to. Right up Pleasant Canyon from Ballarat! There's also Rita's Cabin, but last time I was there it was a big beat up and dingy! Is there a name for the cabin that's over at the top of South Park in the pinyons? It's in horrible shape now, but at one time that would have been a very nice cabin in an awesome location!!!

We used to go shooting up by that cabin at the top of South Park before it got included inside of DVNP. I never knew the name, but I agree that would have been a nice place when that cabin was still habitable. Must have been paradise for someone for at least a few years! I haven't been up there for years, but we had good times up there before the park people ruined all our fun.
:yup:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:14 pm

Originally posted by Panamint_Patty 2010-03-08:
No one's mentioned the Russian's Cabin. I'm not sure how to explain to get to it, but it's just north of Homewood Canyon. It's just a small little shack by a small willow thicket, but it's kind of neat. The guy who lived there wrote his diary on the corrugated metal he used for the walls. It's probably one of the most unique cabins in the area. :onion:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Next

Return to Outdoor Recreation