GO GREEN!!!

Share information about sports, exploring the desert, hiking, etc.

Re: GO GREEN!!!

Postby Anonymizer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:46 am

Green Flight Challenge
I don't know if I like the sound of this. I can just imagine teenagers buzzing houses in their neighborhoods just to get a little attention and crashing in through the roof as a result of their recklessness. Accidents are bad enough as it is. This would just be worse. But on the other hand it would save time to jet around like this. :pacman:
The Green Flight Challenge, he explained, is just the first step in NASA’s plan to develop a new aviation infrastructure, in which quiet, auto-piloted aircraft would deliver people and goods on a point-to-point basis, within communities. In order to qualify for the prize, planes will have to get at least 200 mpg (1.18 L/100km), go at least 100 mph (161 kph), emit no more than 78 decibels from a 250-foot (76-meter) distance, and have a take-off distance, clearing a 50-foot obstacle, of less than 2,000 feet (or a 15-meter obstacle at 610 meters).

LINK: http://www.gizmag.com/pocket-airports-would-link-neighborhoods-by-air/17296/
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:56 am

Could an Artificial Leaf Power Your Home?
Sounds pretty awesome! Maybe instead of building nuclear power plants we should have been working on this technology so that it would have been developed a long time ago!
:nod:
A team of MIT scientists announced the newest breakthrough in solar energy this week. They presented their findings to the American Chemical Society. ACS says the new green technology mimics the original green.

"Scientists today claimed one of the milestones in the drive for sustainable energy -- development of the first practical artificial leaf. ... they described an advanced solar cell the size of a poker card that mimics the process, called photosynthesis, that green plants use to convert sunlight and water into energy."

Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:48 am

Who says you can’t take it with you?
Portable solar energy units are a great idea. Still a bit expensive, but this kind of product is definitely a step in the right direction! :thumb:
“One of our most abundant resources is the sun,” Sprecher said. “We use photovoltaic panels and can build an array as large as the customer wants or needs.” When multiple panels are used and work together to feed a single port, it is called an array. Sprecher said the group has perfected a P.E.T.S. or Portable Energy Trailer System so you can literally “take it with you.”

LINK: http://pvtimes.com/news/who-says-you-cant-take-it-with-you/
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby wildrose » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:37 am

Plaant’s T-Shirts Help Grow a Green Movement
In case you're wondering PLAANT stands for People Looking At A Newer Today. Their stuff is shipped in "plantable" boxes embedded with tree seeds. The only problem is that I doubt the trees would do well in the desert, but other than that it seems like a good idea to do something like that. I suppose if they matched the seeds with the destination for the box that the idea would work really well, but I doubt they've developed the idea that far just yet.
Plaant says they avoid toxic chemicals and do all the work on site, with no outsourcing to any developing countries. They say the ink is made from natural products, so when it is time to dispose of a shirt, it can return to the earth, without damaging the local water supply. The company offers an array of youth-centric designs for men and women. And once you make your selection online, the eco-friendly doesn’t stop there. Plaant’s founders realized that the most pollution created during their product’s lifecyle comes from the shipping to the customer. Trucks burning through fossil fuel deliver your package to your doorstep. In order to try and offset this practice, Plaant has chosen a completely biodegradable (more so than normal cardboard), plantable “Life Box.” Each is embedded with 40 to 70 tree seeds, plus mycorrhizal fungi that help them grow.

LINK: http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2011/12/13/plaant-green-t-shirts/
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Previous

Return to Outdoor Recreation