WAREZ

Share information about movies, websites, television, music, etc.

WAREZ

Postby desertrat » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:54 am

Busted By The FBI: The Life Of An Elite Teen BitTorrent Uploader
I have nothing but admiration for those who share copyrighted material online. I have nothing but contempt for the disgusting fascists -- empowered by the Patriot Act -- who interfere with these activities!!!
:soap:
Releasers and torrent racers are the select few counted on by millions to bring the latest movies, music and video games to the wider Internet in record time. One such person, a 15-year-old school kid, eventually gained access to elite piracy sites and went on to become the top uploader on one of the world’s most famous BitTorrent trackers. But how did the buzz of the elite compare to being hunted down by a Patriot Act-empowered FBI?

LINK: https://torrentfreak.com/busted-by-the-fbi-the-life-of-an-elite-teen-bittorrent-uploader-120204/
desertrat
Backcountry Hiker

Re: WAREZ

Postby pcslim » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:21 am

At one time I considered online piracy to be more or less (but not quite) equivalent to theft. I believed that stealing copy-righted material was taking money away from the artists who created the material, but when I learned how little of the money actually makes it to the artists, I had what can best be called a conversion experience. As it turns out almost all of the money goes to media companies. The truly disgusting thing here is that not only do the media companies pass very little of the money they make on to the artists who actually created the song, book, video game, or movie that is being pirated, but these same companies serve as gatekeepers preventing other artists from making money from their creations. They control the market and they decide who gets promoted and who gets ignored. This gives them the power to control what ideas the public is exposed to. So, now I consider online piracy to be a public service which helps artists to distribute their creations to the public and which bypasses media companies, thereby undermining the power of these companies and hopefully eventually rendering them powerless and obsolete!
:curse:
pcslim
Backcountry Hiker

Postby a2z » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:20 pm

The Rise Of The 'Professional Amateur' And The Fall Of Gated, Exclusionary 'Clubs'
The old business model is being defended vigorously by those who profit from it. They are doing their best to keep society from entering the information age, but sooner or later I think we'll hopefully actually get there!
:geek:
As the gatekeepers continue to see their carefully constructed walls crumbling, they have rushed to shore up the walls using any means at their disposal, whether it's legislation, lawsuits or simple exclusion. But those within the gates aren't much happier, despite the limitations imposed by the gatekeepers, and many are just as resistant to change as the legacy industries they work in.

LINK: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120201/09311617622/rise-professional-amateur-fall-gated-exclusionary-clubs.shtml
a2z
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:02 am

The Patent Racket
Large corporations use patents to control innovation. They block opponents from developing new tools and services through use of patents and legal maneuvers. This control of innovation eliminates a lot of legitimate competition and helps large corporations to be able to make a ton of money while slowing the pace of innovation. This completely undermines any of the supposed advantages of the "free market" and capitalism, since what we get is a market controlled by large corporations who more or less own and control the government, thus making all of us servants to the corporate overlords.
:soap:
The patent process was supposed to protect the small inventor from being exploited by large corporations. Today, it has exactly the opposite effect. Here we have Microsoft, AOL, Facebook, and Yahoo loading up on every menial and bogus patent that they can get through the system. In the meantime, Oracle and Google are battling over Java patents developed by Sun to promote what was thought to be an open source or free product.

LINK: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403457,00.asp
desertrat
Backcountry Hiker

Return to Media Recommendations