Cool Gadgets and Gizmos

Share information about movies, websites, television, music, etc.

Cool Gadgets and Gizmos

Postby Anonymizer » Sat May 28, 2011 6:49 am

Amazon Kindle vs. Barnes and Noble Nook
Thanks to Panamint Patty for alerting us about the NewsyTech channel at YouTube. Here's an interesting reports on eReaders and battery life.
:twirl:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Re: Cool Gadgets and Gizmos

Postby Anonymizer » Sat May 28, 2011 7:46 am

So far I'm sticking with good old fashioned books. I'm not planning to get an eReader for awhile. At least not yet!
:rolleyes2:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby cactuspete » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:42 am

This Solar Bikini Charges Your iPod on the Beach
Sounds like an excuse to hang out at the beach this summer. I'll just tell the wife I want to see the latest technology in action!
:sunshine:
LINK: http://www.good.is/post/this-solar-bikini-charges-your-ipod-on-the-beach
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:37 am

Air Multiplier Fans
These fans are kind of neat. There's a video that explains how it works. Not that I want to plug this company's fans, but they are kind of different! :pacman:
LINK: http://www.dyson.com/fans/
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:10 am

Speed Matters: How Ethernet Went From 3 Mbps to 100 Gbps … and Beyond
Depending on your background this will either be a quick review or a quick primer on the history of computer networks. In either case, there is no denying that ethernet qualifies as one of the coolest gadgets and gizmos of all time! :pacman:
Algorhyme

I think that I shall never see
a graph more lovely than a tree.
A tree whose crucial property
is loop-free connectivity.
A tree that must be sure to span
so packet can reach every LAN.
First, the root must be selected.
By ID, it is elected.
Least-cost paths from root are traced.
In the tree, these paths are placed.
A mesh is made by folks like me,
then bridges find a spanning tree.

Radia Perlman

LINK: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/07/speed-matters/
pcslim
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:47 am

New law cracks down on distracted drivers
Messing around with all these cool gadgets and gizmos while driving may lead to severe penalties. What about people who eat while driving or open a water bottle for a drink? I'm not sure if laws intended to prevent accidents really do much good, but we sure have plenty of laws like that, that's for sure!
:roll:
Fiddling with Blackberrys, MP3 players, GPS devices and other bite-sized in-car computers can cost a pretty penny, and may lead to the suspension of driving privileges. The Nevada Department of Public Safety says more than 3,500 distraction-related crashes occur in Nevada every year. More than 60 people have died in such accidents in the past five years. Nevada has followed other states in passing a strict text-driving law.

Nevada Senate Bill 140 was passed this year during the 2011 legislative session. Gov. Brian Sandoval signed the bill on June 17, banning hand-held cell phone use and text messaging for all drivers in Nevada. The law extends to any hand-held device, including GPS navigation that is not integrated into the vehicle. It is a primary law, meaning officers do not need to observe a separate violation before initiating a traffic stop. The legislation was written by Sen. Shirley Breeden.

LINK: http://pvtimes.com/news/new-law-cracks-down-on-distracted-drivers/
desertrat
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:08 am

You’ll Download Physical Objects Sooner Than You Think, Thanks to Kids Like These
3D printing could be kind of fun. I see it as being used for replicating novelty items in the near future, but who knows what will be possible in ten or twenty years!
:conf003:
Some saw the announcement as an overhyped publicity stunt. Others saw a powerful revolution of how humans acquire essential goods. But one expert Mashable spoke with this week said that 3D printing is indeed bound for the mainstream — and even sooner than The Pirate Bay might think. “If you want to draw that parallel, we are kind of in the early 1980s of the computer industry right now, when it was just moving from mainframes into home computers,” said Hod Lipson, a Cornell University associate professor of both Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering and Computing & Information Science. “I see a big future for 3D printers in personal-scale applications that will unfold over the next decade.”

LINK: http://mashable.com/2012/01/31/youll-download-physical-objects-sooner-than-you-think-thanks-to-kids-like-these/
pcslim
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Mon May 21, 2012 7:58 am

$74 Android Mini-Computer Hits The Market :pacman:
Interesting little device!
It’s worth pointing out that the mouse and keyboard support of Android isn’t great. It’s also difficult to see how a user would connect both without a USB hub, because this mini-PC only has one USB port and you’d need two to connect a USB mouse and keyboard. Even so, the price is low enough that Android and alternative OS enthusiasts should check this computer out. It looks like a fun gadget to experiment with even if it’s unlikely to replace anyone’s desktop, HTPC or Roku.

LINK: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/74-android-mini-computer-hits-the-market-updates/
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Mon May 28, 2012 6:09 am

In a recent Popular Science article titled "There Will Be Enough Giant Phones Sold in 2015 to Pave Monaco", phablets are predicted to take over the phone market in the next few years. The word comes from combining the word "phone" and "tablet".
http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2 ... -basically
The whole thing sounds dorky to me. Especially the name. Somehow I just can't picture anyone saying the word "phablet" without first limping their wrists! Funny I would have figured that the size of the phone would have been reduced by using some sort of holographic image as a monitor by now. Perhaps the technology is being purposefully delayed. There we go with those conspiracy theories again... Maybe it's just around the corner but they got a few billion of these to unload first...
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Mon May 28, 2012 11:53 am

pcslim wrote:Speed Matters: How Ethernet Went From 3 Mbps to 100 Gbps … and Beyond
Depending on your background this will either be a quick review or a quick primer on the history of computer networks. In either case, there is no denying that ethernet qualifies as one of the coolest gadgets and gizmos of all time! :pacman:
Algorhyme

I think that I shall never see
a graph more lovely than a tree.
A tree whose crucial property
is loop-free connectivity.
A tree that must be sure to span
so packet can reach every LAN.
First, the root must be selected.
By ID, it is elected.
Least-cost paths from root are traced.
In the tree, these paths are placed.
A mesh is made by folks like me,
then bridges find a spanning tree.

Radia Perlman

LINK: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/07/speed-matters/

Thanks! I really liked that article.
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby BallaratBob » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:56 am

'Connected Cars' May Soon Rule the Road
I wonder how this technology would deal to rural driving conditions. How would it deal with a cow, horse, deer, or donkey by the side of the road?
BallaratBob
Cantankerous Mule

Postby sandman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:46 am

Vizio's New Computers: Rivaling Apple's Sleek Designs? :pacman:
Sleek design is one thing, but what really matters is how well it works (and how much it costs).
sandman
Cantankerous Mule

Next

Return to Media Recommendations