Local Wilderness Areas

Share information about sports, exploring the desert, hiking, etc.

Local Wilderness Areas

Postby desertrat » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:54 am

I know there's a wilderness area for Great Falls and for the Argus Mtns, but does anyone know a website that lists and has maps for all the wilderness areas around Searles Valley, Panamint Valley, and Death Valley?
:4x4:
desertrat
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Local Wilderness Areas

Postby sandman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:23 pm

desertrat wrote:I know there's a wilderness area for Great Falls and for the Argus Mtns, but does anyone know a website that lists and has maps for all the wilderness areas around Searles Valley, Panamint Valley, and Death Valley?
:4x4:

I don't know any websites, but you might try the BLM website and see what info they have posted. I'm pretty sure that the Argus Wilderness starts up by Panamint Springs and extends down to Trona, but I'm not completely sure on the north and south boundaries. Actually, the only boundary I'm 100% sure of is on the west side where the military base is located.
sandman
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:34 pm

There are a couple wilderness areas over on the Panamint Range side of Panamint Valley that are adjacent to national park land. I think there's also one up by Coso adjacent to military land. There's quite a few wilderness areas in this region. If it's not park land or military land, it's almost certainly BLM land and a good deal of BLM land is designated wilderness.
Some people gripe :bitchy: about this, but the extra protection is a good thing IMHO!
:thumb:
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:41 am

BLM to climbers – keep it clean :thumb:
This article is about an area used by climbers up by Bishop, but it lists some useful websites and it provides some basic info on how to keep from damaging wilderness and outdoor recreation areas.
“We are concerned about visitors leaving trash or human waste, building improper fires, camping in archeological sites or on sensitive vegetation and creating new roads, trails and parking areas,” said Becky Hutto, BLM park ranger. Recreational interest in areas like the tableland is expected to continue or increase. According to the Outdoor Industry Association, California experienced a 20 percent increase in climbing from 2009 to 2010. The number of people car camping is expected to increase from 42 million to 62 million by 2050 in California alone.

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/10141/keep-it-clean/
sandman
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:49 am

New map of Ansel Adams Wilderness
This wilderness area is a bit to the north, but within easy driving distance. It sounds like a really nice map to add to your collection!
Designed to help visitors to the Ansel Adams, the 32”x45” waterproof topographic map contains two different coordinate systems for users of global positioning systems (GPS), as well as the more traditional Public Land Survey System historically utilized by land managers and surveyors. In addition to showing campsites and trailheads, locations for equestrian opportunities and resorts under special use permit are also illustrated.

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/10367/ansel-adams-wilderness/
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Return to Outdoor Recreation