Exploring the UEC-100 Mine

Share information about sports, exploring the desert, hiking, etc.

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:37 am

I went back to Mine yesterday with the craziest friend I could find and we explored the tunnel all the way to the end. It goes back into the mountain about 1/3 mile and there were two cave ins we had to climb over. I was able to crawl through both cave ins without taking off my back pack so just about anybody could fit through.

Just before the cave in there was a huge shaft doing down with all kinds of ladders. We were afraid to climb them because they were rickety and we didn't have any ropes.

Last time I was at Ruth Mine there was a big hummer type vehicle with license plates that said MINE EXP. We found several cards that they placed throughout the mine advertising their website this time.

When I got home I looked up their website. They took some nice pictures and put up a really nice slide show and article about the mine except they called it the UEC-100 mine instead of Ruth mine. All of my pictures and videos came out black but these guys did it perfectly.

If you are interested in Ruth Mine at all you've got to see this:

http://www.undergroundexplorers.com/uec-100-1.htm

I can't wait to go back with ropes and do some more exploring.
Last edited by surfsteve on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:09 am

I just found out why they don't call it by it's name on their website.

Important Notice: It has come to our attention that certain groups and organizations are utilizing information provided by the Underground Explorers to act in a manner inconsistent with our goals of documenting and preserving historic mine sites. Based on this information, we've come to the unfortunate conclusion that we must change the way we present information to the public. Therefore, it is with great regret that we announce that we will no longer be able to publicly identify specific geographic locations or mine names in our trip reports and pictures. We will not purposefully mislead the public by creating false names and locations. Instead, we will created a catalog and each mine will be assigned a specific code. These codes will not correlate in any way to real world information about the mine or it's location.

I get it now UEC-100 means Under Ground Exploresrs-100. the mine is the first mine that they explored and didn't give out the location. But what does the C stand for?
Last edited by surfsteve on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Ruth MIne

Postby sandman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:23 am

surfsteve wrote:
When I got home I looked up their website. They took some nice pictures and put up a really nice slide show and article about the mine except they called it the UEC-100 mine instead of Ruth mine. All of my pictures and videos came out black but these guys did it perfectly.

If you are interested in Ruth Mine at all you've got to see this:

http://www.undergroundexplorers.com/uec-100-1.htm

surfsteve wrote:I just found out why they don't call it Ruth mine on their website.

Important Notice: It has come to our attention that certain groups and organizations are utilizing information provided by the Underground Explorers to act in a manner inconsistent with our goals of documenting and preserving historic mine sites. Based on this information, we've come to the unfortunate conclusion that we must change the way we present information to the public. Therefore, it is with great regret that we announce that we will no longer be able to publicly identify specific geographic locations or mine names in our trip reports and pictures. We will not purposefully mislead the public by creating false names and locations. Instead, we will created a catalog and each mine will be assigned a specific code. These codes will not correlate in any way to real world information about the mine or it's location.

I get it now UEC-100 means Under Ground Exploresrs-100. Ruth mine is the first mine that they explored and didn't give out the location. But what does the C stand for?

Interesting information! It's too bad that so many people want to ruin things for others. People can be total a**holes sometimes!
:curse:
sandman
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:50 am

The C stands for com. Duh!

I was thinking that I shouldn't publish any of my pictures either to help preserve the site but then I went ahead and linked to the UEC website figuring the cat was already out of the bag.

I went ahead and changed the title of the thread to keep the name a secret. Shouldn't stop any of the locals from recognizing the pictures of which mine they came from.
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Exploring the UEC-100 Mine

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:07 pm

Last I heard the Ruth Mine was closed to the public. They even had caretakers living up there at one point to make sure that people didn't explore the mine. If it's no longer off limits then I'd imagine a bunch of people are going to want to explore it!
:4x4:
MojaveMike
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:34 am

Then the UEC-100 mine must be a different mine, cause there's nobody there. My atlas came yesterday and I went to town to buy some ropes and more powerful flashlights. I also picked up a set of walkie talkies. One thing I did notice was the bitter taste in my mouth after we came out of the mine. Was that arsenic? What did it do to those people who worked the mines and breathed that stuff in all day long seven days a week?
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrfish » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:48 am

surfsteve wrote:Then the UEC-100 mine must be a different mine, cause there's nobody there. My atlas came yesterday and I went to town to buy some ropes and more powerful flashlights. I also picked up a set of walkie talkies. One thing I did notice was the bitter taste in my mouth after we came out of the mine. Was that arsenic? What did it do to those people who worked the mines and breathed that stuff in all day long seven days a week?

UEC-100 Mine = Ruth Mine
No doubt!
Arsenic? The pics show a sign warning of arsenic and so that's probably a good guess!
mrfish
Backcountry Hiker

Return to Outdoor Recreation