Fishing Spots

Share information about sports, exploring the desert, hiking, etc.

Fishing Spots

Postby mrfish » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:36 am

Beatty pond stocked with 1,000 trout for winter fishing :yippy2:
Not a lot of fishing in the desert and you wouldn't expect a fishing pond near Beatty, but...
Who would have thunk it, but at a recent Beatty Town Advisory Board meeting it was announced that the Department of Wildlife had stocked Bombo’s Pond with 1,000 trout. The plan is to stock trout every year in October or November for winter fishing. A fishing license is required, with trout stamp, and the limit is three trout in possession per day. The pond, located beside Highway 95 at Vanderbilt Road, is named after Ted “Bombo” Cottonwood, who created the pond just before he retired as Beatty foreman for the county road department in 1997. The county was using gravel from the site.

LINK: http://pvtimes.com/news/beatty-pond-stocked-with-1000-trout-for-winter-fishing/
mrfish
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Fishing Spots

Postby cactuspete » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:43 am

Fishing in the desert. Now that's something you don't see everyday!
:dizzy:
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:16 pm

cactuspete wrote:Fishing in the desert. Now that's something you don't see everyday!

My theory is that people who live in the desert don't really care about fishing. I could be wrong, but it stands to reason.
:tumbleweed:
panamint_patty
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:36 pm

panamint_patty wrote:
cactuspete wrote:Fishing in the desert. Now that's something you don't see everyday!

My theory is that people who live in the desert don't really care about fishing. I could be wrong, but it stands to reason.

Wrong!! bouncer
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:36 am

James Sel wrote:
panamint_patty wrote:

Wrong!! bouncer

I agree with Panamint_Patty. Fishing ain't my thing either, but a lot of people who live in the desert aren't here by choice.
MojaveMike
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:22 pm

I was just say'en that I like fishing almost as much as I like living in the desert. Many anglers live in R/C and enjoy choosing where to fish. When fishing is/was allowed in the Haiwee Reservoir "It's like i can go fishing heaven" At least to me. Bright Lake (Tehachapi) & Apollo Lake (Lancaster) near Fox Field get stocked with trout from time to time.
Apollo, Haiwee (CLOSED), California City Park & Galileo Park are all desert fishing locations that are somewhat near by.

Found this pic of Haiwee on the net
Man do I miss Haiwee. :cry3:
I must have been 8-11 yrs old when I fished in Little Lake. I Don't know If I'll ever get the chance to do that again.
Fishing in Beatty would be fun time too.
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:52 am

James Sel wrote:I was just say'en that I like fishing almost as much as I like living in the desert. Many anglers live in R/C and enjoy choosing where to fish. When fishing is/was allowed in the Haiwee Reservoir "It's like i can go fishing heaven" At least to me. Bright Lake (Tehachapi) & Apollo Lake (Lancaster) near Fox Field get stocked with trout from time to time.
Apollo, Haiwee (CLOSED), California City Park & Galileo Park are all desert fishing locations that are somewhat near by.

Found this pic of Haiwee on the net
Man do I miss Haiwee. :cry3:
I must have been 8-11 yrs old when I fished in Little Lake. I Don't know If I'll ever get the chance to do that again.
Fishing in Beatty would be fun time too.

I had no idea that there were so many places to go fishing in the high desert! It's too bad about Haiwee. What was the reason given to justify closing that location?
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:04 am

If I'm correct, After 911 it was closed to prevent terrorism to LA's drinking water. Haiwee is a reservoir used to let the mud/stuff settle out of the water before it goes in the the aqueduct. It has a trench in the middle of it, that has to be cleaned out ever so many years. This is how it was explained to me.
It was closed for a long time or forever till the period (maybe 5yrs) before 911 when it was open. I don't know the history before that. So I was only able to fish it for a few years. They sometimes blue stone the reservoir to kill the algae. I just remembered.
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:02 am

Fish and Game talks fish
You can expect 395 to have some pretty heavy traffic this weekend! :shout:
Annual General Trout Opener Coming Soon in the Eastern Sierra The general trout opener in many counties throughout California will commence on April 28, one hour before sunrise. In Inyo and Mono counties, all waters are open to fishing on this date.

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/11671/fish-and-game-talks/
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:21 am

Fish and Game Information Officer responds to deformed fish concern
OMG!!!! Mutant fish!!!! :crazy2:
These deformities sometimes are due to diseases such as cold water disease which the fish survives at an early stage, but is left with physical abnormalities the remainder of its life. He said, “Often these instances are due to genetic anomalies. The department” Hughan said, “is seeing more of these abnormalities than in the past due to the recent conversion to triploid fish. When you subject the eggs to the pressures of captive rearing and the triploid process (to obtain sterility) you are in a very small number of cases affecting the physical attributes of the trout.”

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/13654/deformed-fish-concern/
sandman
Cantankerous Mule

Postby desertrat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:15 am

Senate Bill 1148 stalled
Controversy over the funding of fish hatcheries. I guess even when it comes to fishing, there's politics involved! Of course, anyone who has ever paid for a license to fish already knows that!
:pissy:
California Senate Bill 1148 points to how trout hatcheries and fish plants are funded. Opposition to that bill grows, including Inyo and Mono Supervisors and Mono County’s former State Senator Dave Cogdill. In a committee hearing last week, legislators placed the bill on hold. The organization supporting the bill, CalTrout, maintains the new law will not hurt hatcheries.

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/13647/senate-bill-1148/
desertrat
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrfish » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:04 am

Governor signs SB 1148
It's not entirely clear how this will impact the fish population, but...
CalTrout Conservation Director Curtis Knight had earlier maintained that SB 1148 would not cause hatcheries to lose money, would allow Fish and Game to buy trout from private hatcheries, would improve stocking in put-and-take fisheries like Inyo-Mono and that native trout will be protected with establishment of a special program.

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/14355/governor-signs-sb-1148/
mrfish
Backcountry Hiker

Return to Outdoor Recreation