Arsenic-Loving Microorganism

Share information about sports, exploring the desert, hiking, etc.

Postby REPOSTER » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:25 pm

Posted Dec 02, 2010 by blackturtle.us:
"Every Single Biology Textbook Must Be Revised!" Michio Kaku Explains NASA Press Conf Findings
Michio Kaku provides interesting information about a microorganism recently found in Mono Lake that metabolizes arsenic. The only problem is that he fails to note that a microorganism that metabolizes arsenic was found living in Searles Lake in May 2005.

LINK: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cen-v083n022.p012a
(video removed by YouTube)
FAITHFUL REPOSTER OF ARCHIVAL MATERIALS
REPOSTER
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Arsenic-Loving Microorganism

Postby REPOSTER » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:32 pm

Posted Dec 03, 2010 by pcslim:
That Michio Kaku should really know more about what he's talking about before he pretends that he knows what he's talking about. I suppose that it doesn't really matter who was first, but this guy should have been informed enough to be aware that there had been other such discoveries previous to the discovery at Mono Lake. He should have also provided a little more background on the study of extremeophiles that has been going on for decades! Also not all genomes are based on DNA. There also genomes based on RNA. That seems like a pertinent detail that was also missed.
:laughingx2:
LOOK AT THE LIST OF TYPES OF EXTREMEOPHILES HERE:
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Extremophile
REPOSTER
Backcountry Hiker

Postby REPOSTER » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Posted Dec 03, 2010 by wildrose:
Here's another article about the microbe found in Mono Lake. The only claim I see here that wasn't included in the information I read about the SLAS-1 discovery in Searles Lake regards the fact that arsenic is incorporated in the DNA of the microbe found in Mono Lake. Something tells me that this may also be true of the microbe found in Searles Lake, but that it just wasn't highlighted back in 2005.
LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/3611/unheard-of-life-form-at-mono-lake/
REPOSTER
Backcountry Hiker

Postby REPOSTER » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:36 pm

Posted Dec 07, 2010 by a2z:
I did some research online and came across this article:
LINK: http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050720/news_1c20arsenic.html
The article talks a little about the local mining company and the high level of arsenic in the water out on the lake.
In one of the hottest, saltiest, nastiest places on Earth, researchers have found microbes that live -- and thrive -- on arsenic. This hardy community, at Searles Lake in California's Mojave Desert, is apparently the first known ecosystem based on the toxic element.
REPOSTER
Backcountry Hiker

Postby REPOSTER » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:38 pm

Posted Dec 13, 2010 by wildrose:
'Alien' Arsenic-Loving Bacteria Discovered!
More on the arsenic-loving bacteria found in Mono Lake and other dry lakes such as Searles Lakes. Also it's interesting and refreshing to see a rational woman interact with an emotionally over-expressive man! It breaks a few stereotypes!
REPOSTER
Backcountry Hiker

Postby REPOSTER » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:41 pm

Posted 12/14/2010 by panamint_patty:
Scientific skepticism emerges over Mono Lake discovery
Looks like NASA might have made claims that weren't supported by the data. It could be that their methodologies caused results that don't reflect what is actually happening with the microbes. Apparently, more studies will be required to figure out what's really going on.
As one might expect, after the big news that NASA found a new life form at Mono Lake, other scientists have weighed in with a skeptical view. The Los Angeles Times ran a story that "skeptical scientists expressed serious concerns about the discovery and the researchers' interpretation of their experimental results."

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/3638/scientific-skepticism-emerges-over-mono-lake-discovery/
REPOSTER
Backcountry Hiker

Postby REPOSTER » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Posted 12/14/2010 by surfsteve:
This means that there are alien life forms living practically in my back yard. I always knew this place was weird. I just never knew how much!
REPOSTER
Backcountry Hiker

Postby REPOSTER » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Posted 12/18/2010 by pcslim:
Attack Of The Bioengineered Organisms And Clones
The more we learn about microorganisms the closer we get to bioengineering some. Some people dream of miracle cures and incredible advances. Others worry about scientific experiments gone astray resulting in disaster. At this point, I just find the possibilities interesting and just hope that corporations and governments don't mess things up!
We're getting closer and closer to creating designer life forms. People can almost build a single-celled organism from scratch, so we're not too far away (in terms of logical steps, not time) from intelligently designing our own little creatures someday. Instead of a "grey goo" nightmare, maybe we should be more worried about a "green goo" disaster.

LINK: Attack Of The Bioengineered Organisms And Clones
REPOSTER
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:25 am

Great repost! Now that I review these old posts I remember how great this thread was. I wonder how many other interesting threads there are that should be reposted!!! Good job, REPOSTER!!!
:sunshine:
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrfish » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:26 am

Arsenic-Metabolizing Bacteria in Extreme Environments
More info on SLAS-1:
In 2005, USGS scientists reported (Oremland et al, 2005) the discovery of bacteria living in an environment which had conditions so extreme that it was assumed to be sterile. This arsenic-metabolizing bacterium, SLAS-1, was found in Searles Lake, California. Located in the Mojave Desert, Searles Lake is about ten times saltier and about 70-times more alkaline than seawater and contains arsenic in concentrations that are unusually high (about 4 mM). The bacteria isolated by the USGS scientists were found to not only tolerate the extreme conditions, but to derive energy from metabolizing arsenic.

LINK: http://water.usgs.gov/nrp/highlights/arsenic.html
mrfish
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:22 am

Bacteria unleashed in sewers to feast on Christmas dinner fat
More microorganisms in the news! :yippy2:
Yorkshire Water said it was deploying the "biological weapon" of bacillus bacteria – commonly found in the human gut – in its sewer network in an attempt to prevent blockages, which typically increase by 25pc over the festive season. The company began pouring vats of water mixed with the bacteria down sewers at known trouble spots last week and is rolling out the treatment at 180 sites in Yorkshire.

LINK: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/financialservices/utilities/8976692/Bacteria-unleashed-in-sewers-to-feast-on-Christmas-dinner-fat.html
desertrat
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:52 am

Life-bearing Earth meteorites could litter the galaxy
Interesting theory... :conf003:
What we’re talking about here is the theory of panspermia, which states that life is regularly transported throughout the universe by asteroids and comets. Throughout history, panspermia has been considered unlikely for various reasons, and does still play a roll in various fringe pseudo-science claims. Conventional wisdom said that even hearty bacteria were too fragile to survive long in space, but more recent discoveries have to make you wonder.

LINK: http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/125847-life-bearing-earth-meteorites-could-litter-the-galaxy
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to Outdoor Recreation