Sand Dunes

Share information about sports, exploring the desert, hiking, etc.

Sand Dunes

Postby sandman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:56 pm

Trona Dune Surfing
I didn't know that dune surfing was a sport, but this seems like it's more like dune skiing to me. Pretty sure this is Argus Dunes and not Gold Bottom Dunes, but not entirely sure.
:tumbleweed:
sandman
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Sand Dunes

Postby wildrose » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:04 am

sandman wrote:Trona Dune Surfing
I didn't know that dune surfing was a sport, but this seems like it's more like dune skiing to me. Pretty sure this is Argus Dunes and not Gold Bottom Dunes, but not entirely sure.
:tumbleweed:

That's definitely more like skiing than surfing, but it also looks pretty dangerous to me. It seems like the typical thing that uneducated, redneck, hillbilly types would enjoy. Nothing against people who are into that kind of thing, but the guy driving the truck would face some pretty expensive liability issues if someone got hurt.
:smack:
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:20 am

wildrose wrote:That's definitely more like skiing than surfing, but it also looks pretty dangerous to me. It seems like the typical thing that uneducated, redneck, hillbilly types would enjoy. Nothing against people who are into that kind of thing, but the guy driving the truck would face some pretty expensive liability issues if someone got hurt.

When I was a kid I had a lot of fun doing things like that and I'm not what you'd call uneducated at all! Redneck? Hillbilly? Maybe, depending on your criteria, but that's another thing altogether. As for the liability issues, you are absolutely correct. I'd imagine that the parents of some of the boys in the video might be a little angry with the person driving the car, especially if that person happens to be an adult. But there's nothing wrong with a little fun getting rowdy in the desert as long as there's no vandalism involved and as long as no one gets hurt!
:thumb:
desertrat
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:43 am

I imagine being in an emergency waiting room and you are miserable as hell. Your up next to be seen. Then an ambulance shows up with one of these kids in it. As you realize your no longer up next ................now what!! :wall:
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MRGREEN » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Racist much?
Kind of dumb to post a video with racist language in it!!!
MRGREEN
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:39 pm

MRGREEN wrote:Racist much?
Kind of dumb to post a video with racist language in it!!!

x2
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:17 am

That was probably more dangerous than it looked. The hood of that car they were surfing on had all kinds of holes in the metal that could have caught a finger a hand or a shoe lace. All that aside I would have tried it standing up.
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:35 am

Reminds me of my first time water skiing. I decided I was going to do a beach landing but I was coming in a bit too fast. As soon as my skis hit the sand they came to a stop and I was ejected instantly. A few years later I tried water skiing again for my second time. It was out on the ocean and I did it as a dare. I decided to try doing it on one ski and was actually getting the hang of it till I got a bloody nose by getting face plunked from the tip of my ski. Everyone was laughing at how fast I got out of the water but when I saw all that blood all I could think of was sharks.
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:19 am

Singing sand dunes
Just one of the wonders of nature that can't be enjoyed when retarded idiots are riding around on their motorized toys! :curse:
pcslim
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:43 am

pcslim wrote:Singing sand dunes
Just one of the wonders of nature that can't be enjoyed when retarded idiots are riding around on their motorized toys! :curse:

Good point! That's why I'm in favor of strict limits on off-road vehicle use. Leave routes open, but limit free-for-all areas. Also enforcement of strict noise limits would help. It only takes a few irresponsible off-roaders to ruin everything for everyone!
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:08 pm

wildrose wrote:

Good point! That's why I'm in favor of strict limits on off-road vehicle use. Leave routes open, but limit free-for-all areas. Also enforcement of strict noise limits would help. It only takes a few irresponsible off-roaders to ruin everything for everyone!

another point: If people don't have a place to mess up, They'll mess up everything ever where else. Well something like that. Striving for a healthy balance is the way to go.
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:41 am

James Sel wrote:
wildrose wrote:

another point: If people don't have a place to mess up, They'll mess up everything ever where else. Well something like that. Striving for a healthy balance is the way to go.

That doesn't make any sense to me. That's like saying: If people don't have a place to ____(insert name of crime here)____, then they'll just commit ____(insert name of crime here)_____ in another location. I'm tired of our society making excuses for idiots who do destructive things. I'm not in favor of over-incarceration, but I am in favor of holding people accountable for their choices! Accommodating dysfunctional individuals just encourages those individuals to continue to be dysfunctional. Get rid of the unnecessary laws, but keep the laws that are needed. Destruction of open space is vandalism and vandals should not be tolerated.
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to Outdoor Recreation