Fruitcakes Return to Independence!

Share information about sports, exploring the desert, hiking, etc.

Postby REPOSTER » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:15 pm

REPOSTINGS by request of wildrose (see thread on LOCAL CABINS).
FIRST POST: January 26, 2010
DESERTRAT: The title is too funny to resist! It's the title of an article an article on the Sierra Wave website and it's actually about the kind of fruitcake that people sometimes eat! Apparently there's some kind of Fruitcake Festival this Saturday in Independence!
Last year fruitcake supporters took fruitcakes to the realm of science fiction with their "Fruitcakes in Space" celebration. Perhaps celebrating the world renowned longevity of the fruitcake, this year the plan is to take a nostalgic romp back to a time when life was simple, and sandy. The going theme is "Fruitcake- the sacred food of the Pharaohs."

---------
SHADYLADY: LULZ!!! I thought you were talking about the followers of Dr. Wolff when you mentioned the fruitcakes. Of course, I should have known better since that was more of a Lone Pine thing! Probably most people don't know about the Ashrama located at Tuttle Creek. Sometimes the building is referred to as "The Monastary." An interesting spiritual movement to say the least!
INFO: http://www.summitpost.org/history-of-the-ashrama/201939
---------
DESERTRAT: I think this is the same information, but it's posted on a site dedicated to the Wolffs.
LINK: http://www.merrell-wolff.org/
---------
BLACKTURTLE.US:
HIKING DISTANCE: 1.1 miles
STARTING ELEVATION: 6932 feet
ELEVATION of ASHRAMA: 7825 feet
-----------
A2Z: Fruitcakes sounds about right! :funny: But seriously, that building sounds like a neat landmark to visit. That sounds like a steep one mile hike though! I guess looking on the bright side it's all downhill on the way back. I'll put "Tuttle Creek Ashram" on my list of places to visit. Thanks for the tip!
----------
wildrose: When I asked some people in Lone Pine about the Ashram last October, they were quick to point out to me the dangers of mountain lions. It was almost as if they were discouraging me from hiking up to the Ashram. It seemed like they were trying to protect it from outsiders or something. They went into great detail about recent mountain lion sightings and told me that some huge cats had been spotted. They also told me about people being stalked by mountain lions. The funny thing is that I never asked a single question about mountain lions, but every time I asked about the Ashram they would change the topic or answer in an evasive manner. Is there a lot of cult activity in Lone Pine?
:conf003:
--------
LLAP: There are cults everywhere you go. There's even a cult here in Trona. Ever hear of the Langstonites? I had a friend who was a member. Interesting stories!
CULT or NOT?
1) charismatic leader? They were called the Langstonites until he had to go bye-bye
2) isolation? They have their own school to prevent their kids from associating with other kids
3) Indoctrination? They have their own school as already mentioned
There are more characteristics of cults, but that's a pretty good start!!!
FAITHFUL REPOSTER OF ARCHIVAL MATERIALS
REPOSTER
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Fruitcakes Return to Independence!

Postby wildrose » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:05 am

:funny:
Thank you REPOSTER for reposting that old thread! Now I recall why my memory of this thread was so hazy. It started as one topic and somehow morphed to another! Funny how that happens sometimes...
:crazy2:
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:44 am

wildrose wrote::funny:
Thank you REPOSTER for reposting that old thread! Now I recall why my memory of this thread was so hazy. It started as one topic and somehow morphed to another! Funny how that happens sometimes...
:crazy2:

:funny:
Apparently I'm the one responsible for starting that thread. I guess you could say that I had no idea what it would lead to! But looking back, it all makes perfect sense now!!!
bouncer
desertrat
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:15 am

Peace, love and fruitcake
Yeah, this is about fruitcake as in the dessert, not as fruitcake as in crazy person!!! :crazy2:
Find those old bell bottoms because it is back to the sixties for this year’s Fruitcake Festival. Start practicing your dance moves, warm up your vocal cords, or lip synch to your favorite songs from the “Summer of Love”. Coming to Independence on December 10th is the latest incarnation of the annual Fruitcake Festival, “Peace, Love and Fruitcake”.

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/8956/peace-love-and-fruitcake/
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Return to Outdoor Recreation