GO GREEN!!!

Share information about sports, exploring the desert, hiking, etc.

GO GREEN!!!

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:48 am

Go Green: 10 eco-friendly New Year’s resolutions
Here's a basic list of a few things everyone can do to conserve resources and improve the environment: :mrgreen:
1. Use less paper
2. Switch out your light bulbs
3. No more excuses for forgetting your shopping bag
4. Streamline your mailbox
5. Unplug your appliances when they’re not in use
6. No more plastic water bottles
7. Consolidate your errands
8. Familiarize yourself with recycling guidelines
9. Wash your clothes in cold water
10. Eat what’s local and in season
LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/lifestyle/x1808781068/Go-Green-10-eco-friendly-New-Year-s-resolutions
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Re: GO GREEN!!!

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:34 pm

Cut CO2 or we'll blow up your kids: 10:10 climate change ad shock
Some enviro-wackos get a little carried away. I'm all for simple changes that can reduce environmental degradation, but some of the extremists are a bit whacked out as far as I'm concerned!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:07 am

350.org: Building a Global Movement to Solve the Climate Crisis
They say, "Supporting 350.org is different than supporting your average environmental group." I'm skeptical, but they do have a nice short web address. Check it out if you're curious!
LINK: http://www.350.org/
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:33 am

60s Pot Farm Becomes Sonoma's First Certified Biodynamic Winery
Gotta love the name of the website: treehugger.com!!!
Biodynamic farming techniques were developed in the 1920s by Rudolph Steiner. They are a form of organic farming that take both the farmer and the farm into consideration with the addition of holistic practices. So along with Scottish Highlander cows and 75 sheep to tend the land, tea preparations are used to treat both the grapes and the terrior. The teas are made from everything from cow manure which has been aged underground to chamomile. These practices and the 29 different blocks that make up the Benziger estate add to amazing, complex and accessible wines.

LINK: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/01/benziger-60s-pot-farm-becomes-napas-first-certified-biodynamic-winery.php
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:37 am

panamint_patty wrote:60s Pot Farm Becomes Sonoma's First Certified Biodynamic Winery
Gotta love the name of the website: treehugger.com!!!
Biodynamic farming techniques were developed in the 1920s by Rudolph Steiner. They are a form of organic farming that take both the farmer and the farm into consideration with the addition of holistic practices. So along with Scottish Highlander cows and 75 sheep to tend the land, tea preparations are used to treat both the grapes and the terrior. The teas are made from everything from cow manure which has been aged underground to chamomile. These practices and the 29 different blocks that make up the Benziger estate add to amazing, complex and accessible wines.

LINK: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/01/benziger-60s-pot-farm-becomes-napas-first-certified-biodynamic-winery.php

DERN TREEHUGGERS!!! But seriously, I like to see this kind of innovation. Rather than doing things using the old factory farm method, I like to see a more dynamic approach taken. It means less insecticide and more intelligent use of resources. It breaks the mold set by the major corporations, but that's exactly what we need!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Ranking The Greenest Cars
Top 13 most efficient cars. The Mini Cooper is the coolest of them all! :pacman:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:12 am

Biofuels From Tiny Organisms
There's no doubt that fossil fuels won't last forever. Alternatives must be developed. Here's some interesting research into creating biofuels using algae, yeast, etc. :pacman:
Fossil fuels presumably came from decaying animal and plant matter, so it seems reasonable that there might be a way to replace old oils with freshly-grown biofuels. The trick is getting biological organisms to step up and start churning out fuels on a massive scale. Growing fuel from solar power, water and carbon dioxide would be a great solution, if the process didn't require huge swaths of land and wasn't insanely expensive. Here are just a few links on some ways to grow instead of drill for oil.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20101229/01123812443/dailydirt-biofuels-tiny-organisms.shtml
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Ice Caps Melting at a Much Faster Rate
I'll believe it when I actually see the level of the ocean rise so that houses and businesses on the coast must move. Until then I'm considering this to be a hoax! There's no doubt that the claims could be true, but I'm waiting for hard evidence and not indicators of possible problems.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Global warming is a hoax. We are actually entering a mini ice age according to most scientists.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:50 pm

Pepsi Moves To Vegetarian Plastic Bottle
Great idea to move to a sustainable source of materials! :pacman:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:26 pm

House of Future Aims for Sustainability
Sustainable luxury!!! :sunshine:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:55 am

Composting Toilets Can Be "Plush and Fragrant"
From the more than you really wanted to know department...
From the high-tech Bio-lux composting toilet, to the more rudimentary but effective Loveable Loo humanure system, going "off pipe"—or actually treating and using your own human waste—has a lot of potential benefits for the environment if done right. But, to gain widespread acceptance, it's clear that using a composting toilet has to be a simple, scalable and preferably pleasant experience. That's why I took note when one enthusiast described her visit to a composting loo as "plush and fragrant". Maybe there is hope for composting toilets to go mainstream after all.

LINK: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/03/composting_toil_1.php
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Next

Return to Outdoor Recreation