Charlie Manson and Trona

Share information about sports, exploring the desert, hiking, etc.

Re: Charlie Manson and Trona

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:23 pm

SHADYLADY wrote:I met a few people who were members of the Manson Family. One lady even had an X etched onto her forehead. There were more ex-members around in the 80's and 90's, but there's still a couple if you know who to ask. The people who were associated with Manson that I've talked to don't really admire him, but some of them think he got a longer sentence than he actually deserved. If he hadn't acted so bizarre after being caught, he probably would have been out by now, but the whole trial turned into such a freak show that he'll never be forgotten. At least not in our lifetimes!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:23 pm

jeepnut wrote:There are some interesting rumors and bits and pieces of information regarding the Barker Ranch fire. Found at the site was a camera, a camp stove, and a hand gun. If the fire were set deliberately it is unlikely that these items would have been left behind. Whoever set the fire obviously left in a hurry and so far the items left at the scene haven't connected the fire to anyone. However, there is a rumor that there are two suspects, but nothing more than that at this time.

Also the NPS has decided not to rebuild the site. They claim that not only did the fire cause a huge amount of damage to the rock work and mortar, but also that the structures were built without a foundation and the walls were not constructed to adequate thickness. So, the NPS historic preservation experts basically have concluded that the Barker Ranch is a lost cause!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:24 pm

desertrat wrote:BASIC HISTORY FOR THOSE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE STORY: Manson and his followers traveled around the Death Valley area in dune buggies in the late 1960s. They were preparing for a race war that Manson was trying to start. They called the race war "Helter Skelter" after a Beatles song that Manson believed predicted a conflict that would destroy modern civilization. The plan was for Manson and his followers to survive by living in a tunnel and when the war was over they'd be able to become leaders to others who had survived the ordeal.

Manson was arrested at the Barker Ranch in Goler Wash. Law enforcement officers discovered him hiding beneath a sink in the cabin there. The connection between the Manson gang and murders that took place in the Los Angeles area in 1969 was discovered when one of Manson's followers shared incriminating information with another prisoner where she was being held. During 1970 and 1971 Manson and a few of his followers (Susan Atkins, Leslie Van Houten, Patricia Krenwinkel, and Tex Watson) were put on trial for murder. They were found guilty and sentenced to death, but their sentences were commuted to life in prison when the California State Supreme Court over-turned the death penalty.
Last edited by REPOSTER on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:26 pm

HUMMER wrote:Merry Christmas, Charlie Manson! - South Park, Season Two, Episode 16 - It originally aired on December 9, 1998.
Episode Summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Christmas,_Charlie_Manson!
Last edited by REPOSTER on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:27 pm

Sandman wrote:Shady Lady's assessment is right on. For those of us who were living in the remote areas of the desert back in the 70s, it was not uncommon to run into the remnants and hanger oners of this infamous group. I spoke with one individual years ago who was in the inner circle and left before the raid on Barker Ranch and he told me there are a number of missing people who would not be found both in the hills of the simi valley and the desert. This was a group of criminals well versed in ID theft, forgery, burglury ( they called it creepy crawling) and there were lots of people on the move at that time and many run aways. Anyone suspected of snitching was taken for a walk. These murders will probably never be solved. Details are too sketchy and the cases have gone cold.

I'm thankful I was too young to experience that craziness although I did see plenty hanging around hot springs and living in old mining shacks beginning in the early 70s. Probably, the best source of information would be Tex Watson. He was the #1 henchman and enforcer. I hope the parole board is never fooled into letting him go! So far, he aint talking and will probaly take it to his grave

P.S. Who doesn't have an old bus on their ranch out here? They make great storage sheds
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:29 pm

PCSLIM wrote:Here's a fun fact regarding the Manson clan:
In his raps, Charlie talked about stashing dune buggies every ten or fifteen
miles all over the desert, with hoards of food, ammunition and gasoline buried
near them. Because he had in mind raiding little towns like Shoshone and Trona
in some dune-buggy Rommel scene, he naturally wanted to be aware of any
potential hideouts and raid outposts.

Sounds like he had a bit of a pirate/survivalist mentality. Even in the 1960s it would have been hard to get away with a harebrained scheme like that! Now you can just forget about it! It might make an interesting post-apocalyptic movie scenario... come to think of it, it's probably already been done! I haven't watched many movies of that type! Maybe Johnny Depp could portray Manson as a land-locked pirate navigating the sands of the desert with his faithful followers! If done as a parody of other movies it could be an amusing movie concept.
:dizzy:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:32 pm

SANDMAN wrote:
It might make an interesting post-apocalyptic movie scenario... come to think of it, it's probably already been done! I haven't watched many movies of that type! Maybe Johnny Depp could portray Manson as a land-locked pirate navigating the sands of the desert with his faithful followers! If done as a parody of other movies it could be an amusing movie concept.

Kinda like "Road Warrior", that Mel Gibson flick from the 80s
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:33 pm

PCSLIM wrote:
SANDMAN wrote:
It might make an interesting post-apocalyptic movie scenario... come to think of it, it's probably already been done! I haven't watched many movies of that type! Maybe Johnny Depp could portray Manson as a land-locked pirate navigating the sands of the desert with his faithful followers! If done as a parody of other movies it could be an amusing movie concept.

What I had in mind was more of a parody of the "Road Warrior" movie with Johnny Depp portraying someone like Manson (but not as violent) who has a cult-like group following him. Manson is rather odd in interviews and if some of his mannerisms were combined with Depp's pirate character, the results might be interesting. The cult group could engage in mostly-harmless and amusing adventures in the desert while being chased/harassed by authorities.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:35 pm

SHADYLADY wrote:
PCSLIM wrote:
SANDMAN wrote:

What I had in mind was more of a parody of the "Road Warrior" movie with Johnny Depp portraying someone like Manson (but not as violent) who has a cult-like group following him. Manson is rather odd in interviews and if some of his mannerisms were combined with Depp's pirate character, the results might be interesting. The cult group could engage in mostly-harmless and amusing adventures in the desert while being chased/harassed by authorities.

Depp as Manson! Now that would be an interesting character portrayal, but if anyone could pull it off it would be Johnny Depp!!!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Castle wrote:
thebomb wrote:I also heard that CM was able to drive a bus to the cabin. Does anyone know which roads he took to get it in there? Also, what happened to the bus? I heard that they had to helicopter it out. Is that true? Also I heard that CM had some sort of magic powers and that he was able to levitate the bus over really rough parts of the road. I don't believe that, but it is amazing that someone was actually able to drive the bus to the cabin.

Charlie's bus went missing sometime after his arrest at the Barker Ranch. There are/were two people who know exactly where the bus is and they have both passed a way. I and several otheres I've corresponded with on different nets have a pretty good idea of where the Bus ended up. It's probaly less then 10 miles from the Barker Ranch, but you can't see it or touch it. After all the stories of where it went and a conversation I remembered, I think I figured it out. Several others have agreed with me, and for the most part we have kept silent on it. I've been silent only because of the hoopalah and weirdo's it's discovery would bring out.

I will say that anyone who ever talked with Stella Anderson, I'm sorry I never met her, or an old miner who used to stay at the Meyers Ranch that drove an old FC Jeep PU, you might figure it out. A recognition of sudden changes in the landscape in the early 70's in that 10 mile area will help you too.

One last point. I think the bus was brought in over Mengel Pass. It was a fairly decent two wheel drive road in those days. The falls in the moth of Goler were rougher then a cob and the other road, Wingate, would have brought him through the CLNWC bombing range.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:42 pm

desertrat wrote:
Castle wrote:Charlie's bus went missing sometime after his arrest at the Barker Ranch. There are/were two people who know exactly where the bus is and they have both passed a way. I and several otheres I've corresponded with on different nets have a pretty good idea of where the Bus ended up. It's probaly less then 10 miles from the Barker Ranch, but you can't see it or touch it. After all the stories of where it went and a conversation I remembered, I think I figured it out. Several others have agreed with me, and for the most part we have kept silent on it. I've been silent only because of the hoopalah and weirdo's it's discovery would bring out.

I will say that anyone who ever talked with Stella Anderson, I'm sorry I never met her, or an old miner who used to stay at the Meyers Ranch that drove an old FC Jeep PU, you might figure it out. A recognition of sudden changes in the landscape in the early 70's in that 10 mile area will help you too.

One last point. I think the bus was brought in over Mengel Pass. It was a fairly decent two wheel drive road in those days. The falls in the moth of Goler were rougher then a cob and the other road, Wingate, would have brought him through the CLNWC bombing range.

So basically you're saying that someone buried the bus. To bury a bus would require a bulldozer. Geraldo Rivera would probably be all over this story if he knew about it. In fact, I know exactly what song he'd try to use to publicize his "investigative" report!
:dizzy:

Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:42 pm

Castle wrote:
desertrat wrote:So basically you're saying that someone buried the bus. To bury a bus would require a bulldozer. Geraldo Rivera would probably be all over this story if he knew about it. In fact, I know exactly what song he'd try to use to publicize his "investigative" report!

So basicly I don't have to worry about you figuring out where the bus is.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoor Recreation