Dear Mr Bush!

If it's happening outside of North America and you want to talk about it, this is the place!

Re: Dear Mr Bush!

Postby Anonymizer » Wed May 11, 2011 6:56 am

Noam Chomsky: My Reaction to Osama bin Laden’s Death
Insightful as usual, Chomsky puts things into proper perspective.
It’s increasingly clear that the operation was a planned assassination, multiply violating elementary norms of international law. There appears to have been no attempt to apprehend the unarmed victim, as presumably could have been done by 80 commandos facing virtually no opposition—except, they claim, from his wife, who lunged towards them. In societies that profess some respect for law, suspects are apprehended and brought to fair trial.

We might ask ourselves how we would be reacting if Iraqi commandos landed at George W. Bush’s compound, assassinated him, and dumped his body in the Atlantic. Uncontroversially, his crimes vastly exceed bin Laden’s, and he is not a “suspect” but uncontroversially the “decider” who gave the orders to commit the “supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole” (quoting the Nuremberg Tribunal) for which Nazi criminals were hanged: the hundreds of thousands of deaths, millions of refugees, destruction of much of the country, the bitter sectarian conflict that has now spread to the rest of the region.

LINK: http://www.guernicamag.com/blog/2652/noam_chomsky_my_reaction_to_os/
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Thu May 12, 2011 6:24 am

Wow. Even Noam is calling bullshit on this debacle.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Thu May 12, 2011 11:53 am

wildrose wrote:Noam Chomsky: My Reaction to Osama bin Laden’s Death
It’s increasingly clear that the operation was a planned assassination, multiply violating elementary norms of international law. There appears to have been no attempt to apprehend the unarmed victim, as presumably could have been done by 80 commandos facing virtually no opposition—except, they claim, from his wife, who lunged towards them. In societies that profess some respect for law, suspects are apprehended and brought to fair trial.

We might ask ourselves how we would be reacting if Iraqi commandos landed at George W. Bush’s compound, assassinated him, and dumped his body in the Atlantic. Uncontroversially, his crimes vastly exceed bin Laden’s, and he is not a “suspect” but uncontroversially the “decider” who gave the orders to commit the “supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole” (quoting the Nuremberg Tribunal) for which Nazi criminals were hanged: the hundreds of thousands of deaths, millions of refugees, destruction of much of the country, the bitter sectarian conflict that has now spread to the rest of the region.

Gotta love the way Chomsky consistently and relentlessly exposes the misdeeds of our leaders. If only we had leaders with his integrity! I don't always agree with everything I hear from Chomsky, but he always provides an analysis that challenges the narrative that the powers that be would have us take as fact. The nice thing is that he's not one of those conspiracy theorists. He always provides a sober and rational perspective without any emotionalism and that's why his contributions are so valuable.
:thumb2:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri May 13, 2011 6:35 am

Toy Company Releases Rambama Action Doll
Nothing to get upset about here. It's just a little odd and a little funny. That's all!
:pacman:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri May 13, 2011 7:08 am

MojaveMike wrote:
wildrose wrote:Noam Chomsky: My Reaction to Osama bin Laden’s Death

Gotta love the way Chomsky consistently and relentlessly exposes the misdeeds of our leaders. If only we had leaders with his integrity! I don't always agree with everything I hear from Chomsky, but he always provides an analysis that challenges the narrative that the powers that be would have us take as fact. The nice thing is that he's not one of those conspiracy theorists. He always provides a sober and rational perspective without any emotionalism and that's why his contributions are so valuable.
:thumb2:

I know what you mean. I don't always agree with Noam Chomsky on everything either but there is a first time for everything.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri May 13, 2011 7:12 am

cactuspete wrote:Toy Company Releases Rambama Action Doll
Nothing to get upset about here. It's just a little odd and a little funny. That's all!
:pacman:

Ha. Presidential action doll. If that isn't funny enough. Now supposedly this thing is sponsored by him? I'll believe that when he releases the pictures of him saying so...
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri May 13, 2011 7:19 am

Closer to reality would be if they had Bin Ladin stuffed into a life size action doll that they can pull out and play with whenever they want to.

Even closer to reality would be if they had an Obama doll that comes with a remote that enables you to make him do and say whatever you want.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sat May 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Was It Legal To Kill Bin Laden?
Interesting discussion and some funny Bill Maher clips! Great stuff! :thumb2:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Tue May 24, 2011 6:19 am

Of course it was illegal for them to kill Bin Laden under common or constitutional law. But under admiralty or maritime laws which the USA is secretly (or overtly to anyone paying attention) acting under, it was all perfectly legal.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby James Sel » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Anonymizer wrote:Of course it was illegal for them to kill Bin Laden under common or constitutional law. But under admiralty or maritime laws which the USA is secretly (or overtly to anyone paying attention) acting under, it was all perfectly legal.

This is not a secret nor is it new. I was taught what that gold fringe around the courtroom flag more than 20 yrs ago.
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:49 am

Game of Thrones Creators Scramble After Severed Bush-Head Cameo Revealed
Was it really due to a shortage of fake severed heads or was it because they hated Bush? Inquiring minds want to know!!!
:thumb:
sandman
Cantankerous Mule

Previous

Return to World News