Circumcision Rates Declining

This forum is dedicated to news outside the Trona Zone, but within the borders of the USA, but Canada and Mexico can fit here too.

Circumcision Rates Declining

Postby shadylady » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:57 am

CDC: Why Are U.S. Circumcision Rates Declining?
Some consider it genital mutilation and some consider it to be preventative medicine, but the popularity of the procedure has its ups and downs. I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other, but I do find this interesting from a public health policy perspective.
The rate of in-hospital circumcision rose from 48.3% in 1988-91 to 61.1% in 1997-2000, the CDC reports. To gauge current rates of circumcision, the researchers looked at numbers from three large, independent data sources, all of which collect discharge data on inpatient hospitalizations. Every data set showed a decline. For example, the 1999-2010 National Hospital Discharge Survey showed that fewer than 12 million of nearly 20 million newborn boys were circumcised over the past decade. The survey showed that the rate of in-hospital circumcisions dropped from 62.5% in 1999 to 56.9% in 2008.

LINK: http://healthland.time.com/2011/09/02/cdc-why-are-u-s-circumcision-rates-declining/
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Circumcision Rates Declining

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:15 am

Circumcised vs. Uncircumcised -- For Gals, Is There a 'Difference'?
To cut or not to cut: That is the question! :dizzy:
According to new wiener stats, more and more American parents are choosing not to circumcise their sons. While the Center for Disease Control says the numbers aren't definitive, The New York Times calls it a "steep decline," one that's possibly due to anti-circumcision Internet activism and increased public outcry against female circumcision.

LINK: http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/08/20/circumcised-vs-uncircumcised/
panamint_patty
Backcountry Hiker

Postby FlyingPig » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:11 pm

Foreskin Man’s antisemitism may only be skin deep
I had no idea that circumcision was so controversial! Don't people have better things to spend their time on than worrying about a little flap of skin?
:crazy2:
Slammed by the Anti-Defamation League as “disrespectful and deeply offensive,” a recently-published comic book starring a blonde-haired hero saving children from the clawed clutches of satanic-looking rabbis may be getting more attention than its creator intended. Foreskin Man, by Matthew Hess, is meant to be a positive publicity stunt for those San Francisco residents pushing an anti-circumcision bill through the city council.

LINK: http://dailycaller.com/2011/06/07/foreskin-mans-antisemitism-may-only-be-skin-deep/
FlyingPig
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:30 am

Does this mean that there will be a rubber band shortage in the near future? When I was growing up one of the older girls in the neighborhood liked to tease the younger boys by telling them that rubber bands were made out of the foreskins of circumcised boys. Obviously this caused the boys to be distressed not only over their missing foreskins, but also over the idea of touching rubber bands. I'm pretty sure that her little story prevented several rubber band fights from breaking out, at least for a while until they figured out that she was just fooling them.
:laughingx2:

And as an extra bonus, here are some circumcision stats for you:
A national survey conducted from 1999-2002 found the overall percentage of males circumsized in the US was 79%. The 2003 Nationwide Hospital Discharge Survey found the percentage of newborn boys being circumsized was 55% across the US, however in the West only the figure was 31%. On the worldwide scale however, it is estimated around 80% of males are uncircumsized, with very low rates in Europe, South America, non-Muslim Asia, the Far East and Australasia.
panamint_patty
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:20 am

panamint_patty wrote:Does this mean that there will be a rubber band shortage in the near future? When I was growing up one of the older girls in the neighborhood liked to tease the younger boys by telling them that rubber bands were made out of the foreskins of circumcised boys. Obviously this caused the boys to be distressed not only over their missing foreskins, but also over the idea of touching rubber bands. I'm pretty sure that her little story prevented several rubber band fights from breaking out, at least for a while until they figured out that she was just fooling them.

That might have been one of the most disgusting stories I've ever heard! I recall an older girl who liked to tease the younger boys in my neighborhood too, but to the best of my knowledge she never came up with such a ridiculously disgusting story as this one!
:wackywacky:
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Circumcised to Punish Masturbation, then Surgically Restored
Circumcised at age 8 without anesthetic as punishment for masturbating? Wow! :dead:
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrfish » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:32 am

wildrose wrote:Circumcised to Punish Masturbation, then Surgically Restored
Circumcised at age 8 without anesthetic as punishment for masturbating? Wow! :dead:

That's going way too far. In fact, that's got to be one of the worst child abuse stories I've ever heard and I doubt that any of the bastards who did that to that boy even got punished for it since they were all social workers who were considered to be doing something to "help" the boy! The government gets away with human rights abuses all the time. They can make unreasonable laws with impunity and they are free to exempt themselves from them whenever they want too.
:curse:
mrfish
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MRGREEN » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Boys will be boys, unless castrating feminists win
It would seem that for some feminists mere circumcision is insufficient! Why stop at the foreskin! :shock:
The guillotine of castration awaits men in an increasingly androgynous society. Modern liberal feminists believe the root of all social problems is masculinity manifested by male aggressiveness. All traces of masculinity must be cut away, literally, third-wave feminists reason, because the act of sex itself is male domination because it's the man who does the pumping and it's the woman who gets pumped. Until that time when all men find themselves standing by somberly in line, awaiting the dull thud as the guillotine bears down on them, feminists have resigned themselves to having our boys host tea parties.

At a daylong teacher-training seminar for gender equity hosted by the Wellesley College Center for Research on Women, according to Christina Sommers in her book "The War on Boys," one teacher proudly announced to the group that she got boys to wear skirts in her kindergarten class. Nowadays teachers have no qualms about tampering with children's individuality because they reason gender is socialized and traditional ideas about masculinity have brought great oppression and pain on women.

LINK: http://www.nctimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/article_8c3a811e-e96c-58d3-bcbe-47eb392ba0c4.html
MRGREEN
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:15 am

California Circumcision Ban: Governor Signs Bill To Prevent Circumcision Bans
I'm thinking that it's best to leave this decision up to the parents. The state should butt the heck out of this debate... except in this case Brown is protecting the right of parents to choose and so the state is actually forcing municipalities to not interfere with parental rights!
:sunshine:
California's governor has signed a bill that that will prevent local governments from banning male circumcision. Gov. Jerry Brown's office announced Sunday that the Democrat signed AB768, a bill written in response to a ballot measure proposed in San Francisco.

LINK: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/02/california-circumcision-ban_n_991493.html
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:12 am

SD man's lawsuit says circumcision 'robbed' him
It would probably make more sense to file a lawsuit against his parents for sexually abusing him by mutilating his genitals. Of course, if that kind of lawsuit had wings, then there would be potentially millions of such lawsuits filed within weeks, especially if the possible settlements were sufficiently lucrative!
A South Dakota prison inmate is suing the hospital where he was circumcised as a newborn, saying he only recently became aware that he'd undergone the procedure and that it robbed him of his sexual prowess. Dean Cochrun, 28, is asking for $1,000 in compensatory and punitive damages. He also asks in the lawsuit that his foreskin be restored "in the hopes I could feel whole again," though he acknowledged that he didn't expect such a restoration to be anything more than aesthetic.

LINK: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/04/16/national/a132324D81.DTL
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:47 am

Religious circumcision of kids a crime - German court
It does seem a little strange that parents who allow children to get tattoos or piercings have been charged with child endangerment in some states, but that genital mutilation is deemed to be an okay thing to do. I'm not for or against any of the above, but the contradiction and inconsistency does seem a bit strange.
A German court has ruled that parents can’t have their sons circumcised on religious grounds in a move which has angered Muslim and Jewish groups in the country. ­The court in Cologne decided that a legal guardian’s authority over a child does not allow them to subject them to the procedure, which the court called minor bodily harm, reports The Financial Times Deutschland. Neither does religious freedom, which is protected by law in Germany, give grounds for such decisions to be taken for the children, the ruling says.

LINK: https://rt.com/news/germany-religious-circumcision-ban-772/
panamint_patty
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:26 am

Germans slam circumcision ruling
Seems like child sexual abuse to me and that it's actually worse than most forms of sexual abuse since it involves genital mutilation. I just don't see how anyone could complain about this ruling. It protects the rights of children against bodily harm caused by religious zealots. Either it's okay to abuse children or it isn't. We can't make special exceptions for religious fanatics and if we do then we are hypocrites of the worst kind!
:smack:
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to National News