The Right to Keep and Bear Arms

This is the forum for news pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, Panamint Valley, Saline Valley, Owens Valley, Inyo County, San Bernardino County, and areas immediatelly adjacent to these localities.

The Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:49 am

Celebrating MLK — at a shooting range?
Ummm... this seems a little politically incorrect, but more power to them, I guess... :conf003:
The Libertarian Party of Nye County is planning to celebrate the memory of slain civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. with a rally for gun rights at a local shooting range.
Huh?
That’s right. The Jan. 15 rally will start at noon at the Bell Vista Shooting Range. The memory of the assassinated civil rights champion is being evoked as a means to raise awareness to the “20,000 unreasonable restrictions on our inalienable Right to Keep and Bear Arms,” states a press release about the MLK Day event.

LINK: http://pvtimes.com/news/celebrating-mlk-at-a-shooting-range/
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Re: The Right to Keep and Bear Arms

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:49 pm

desertrat wrote:Celebrating MLK — at a shooting range?
Ummm... this seems a little politically incorrect, but more power to them, I guess... :conf003:
The Libertarian Party of Nye County is planning to celebrate the memory of slain civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr. with a rally for gun rights at a local shooting range.
Huh?
That’s right. The Jan. 15 rally will start at noon at the Bell Vista Shooting Range. The memory of the assassinated civil rights champion is being evoked as a means to raise awareness to the “20,000 unreasonable restrictions on our inalienable Right to Keep and Bear Arms,” states a press release about the MLK Day event.

That does seem odd. It almost sounds like a white supremcist group thumbing its collective nose at the memory of a civil rights leader. Of course, like Glen Beck claimed about the day he held his little tea party a few months ago, it could just be a coincidence.
:onion:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:47 pm

pcslim wrote:
desertrat wrote:Celebrating MLK — at a shooting range?
Huh?

That does seem odd. It almost sounds like a white supremcist group thumbing its collective nose at the memory of a civil rights leader. Of course, like Glen Beck claimed about the day he held his little tea party a few months ago, it could just be a coincidence.
:onion:

I gotta think it was no accident! Someone's making a statement and it ain't very nice. But to each his own. As long as they break no laws and trample on no one's legitimate rights, then no harm no foul as far as I'm concerned!
:rolleyes2:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:53 am

I agree that this gun rally in honor of MLK is a thinly disguised racist gathering. Although ostensibly it could be argued that MLK was a civil rights leader and that the right to own guns is a civil right and that therefore they are sincere in their claim to be honoring MLK with their gun rally, that seems a little far-fetched to me. But it could be worse, at least they aren't holding a cross-burning in his honor. Again, that could ostensibly be argued to be an expression of their right to free speech and thus the connection to MLK could once again be invoked. I suppose that we should all be happy that the gun rally isn't promoted as a racist hate gathering, but there's something just a little sinister about this group pretending to honor MLK.
:puzzled2:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:56 am

Gun sales rising in Arizona
It's awfully easy to purchase guns in AZ. They're even talking about allowing teachers to carry guns in schools.
:frightened:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:25 pm

Utah Proposes A 'State Gun'
Alaska can go with the AK-47! :funny:
(AK is the state abbreviation for Alaska.)
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:31 am

Inyo-Mono Supervisors: Fireworks, state budget, firearms
Looks like Inyo and Mono might be clamping down on fireworks and firearm discharge. Not sure exactly what that means, but it sounds like more rules and regulations to me! :bitchy:
Fortney calls for the ban of the use of fireworks in Inyo with exceptions. He would support fireworks within legally designated fire district boundaries. He says "Safe and Sane" fireworks could still be sold since this raises funds for local groups. Tribal lands would be exempt. The Sheriff's Department would enforce the ordinance. More on Tuesday.

The County Counsel will bring up a proposed ordinance pertaining to the regulation of firearm discharge in the county.

LINK: http://news.sierrawave.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4379:inyo-mono-supervisors-fireworks-state-budget-firearms&catid=6&Itemid=200021
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:59 am

Walmart Resumes Selling Guns
I wonder if this applies to stores in California. With all the restrictions on purchasing guns here in CA, it may be the case that we won't see any guns in the local Wally World!
:crybaby:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby desertrat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:50 am

Paranoid NRA Chief: Obama Leaving Gun Owners Alone Is ‘Conspiracy’ To Take Away Guns
I'm an advocate for the Second Amendment, but I'm not unreasonable and this Wayne LaPierre guy is way more than just a little unreasonable! In fact, I think he's a little nutty!!!
:dizzy:
Paranoid and baseless accusations that Democrats are trying to destroy the Second Amendment is nothing new for Wayne LaPierre, the executive vice president of the National Rifle Association. This is the man who, after the January Tuscon shooting claimed six lives, rejected President Obama’s offer to come to the White House for a closed door meeting to discuss solutions to gun violence in America.

LINK: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2011/09/26/328300/paranoid-nra-chief-obama-leaving-gun-owners-alone-is-conspiracy-to-take-away-guns/
desertrat
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:24 am

Calif. governor signs ban on open handgun carrying
Not being a big fan of open carry, I'm not too upset by this. On the other hand, it is yet another restriction of the rights of citizens.
California became the fifth state to prohibit openly carrying handguns in public after Gov. Jerry Brown announced Monday that he had signed the ban into law amid heavy opposition from gun enthusiasts. AB144 by state Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, D-Pasadena, makes it a misdemeanor to carry an exposed and unloaded gun in public or in vehicles, with violators facing up to a year in prison or a potential fine of $1,000 when the law takes effect on Jan 1. The bill exempts hunting and shooting events and does not apply to those who are given permits to carry a concealed weapon by law enforcement authorities.

LINK: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44843817/ns/us_news-life/t/calif-governor-signs-ban-open-handgun-carrying
pcslim
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:42 am

Americans buy record numbers of guns for Christmas
Sounds like the perfect Xmas present if you ask me! I must have been a bad boy this year since I didn't get a gun for Xmas, but maybe I'll get lucky next year!!!
:laughingx2:
According to the FBI, over 1.5 million background checks on customers were requested by gun dealers to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System in December. Nearly 500,000 of those were in the six days before Christmas. It was the highest number ever in a single month, surpassing the previous record set in November. On Dec 23 alone there were 102,222 background checks, making it the second busiest single day for buying guns in history.

LINK: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8987359/Americans-buy-record-numbers-of-guns-for-Christmas.html
desertrat
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:48 pm

Swimming Pools Vs. Guns
Reality and perception of reality are often miles apart!
:bubble:
sandman
Cantankerous Mule

Next

Return to Trona and Death Valley