Community News

This is the forum for news pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, Panamint Valley, Saline Valley, Owens Valley, Inyo County, San Bernardino County, and areas immediatelly adjacent to these localities.

Re: Community News

Postby shadylady » Sat May 19, 2012 7:58 am

Smart meters are here with a trail of public concerns
This topic isn't worth starting a new thread about, but it is likely to be of interest to many people who visit this forum, so I thought I'd post it here.
:angel:
Some news reports say power companies want Smart Meters so they can charge more for electricity during heavy use times which encourages customers to cut back. This, it is reported, will help the utilities avoid investment in more power generating facilities. Some groups say there is not enough information on how time of use pricing would impact vulnerable households. There are also concerns about invasion of privacy. The meters monitor and broadcast to utility headquarters specific electricity use patterns, times of day, types of appliances used.

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/12154/smart-meters-are-here/
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Sat May 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Q: for thought. If someone makes their own power would they get paid more for the power produced during peak energy usage time? :conf003: :stirpot:
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Sun May 20, 2012 6:31 am

Wow. They can't loose. Everyone waits till 3 am to take a shower only to find their bill is even higher because 3 am became the new peak hour...That's what they get for trying to outsmart a smart meter. The water company should get smart meters too. Think of all the revenue they are loosing!
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Sun May 20, 2012 7:01 am

James Sel wrote:Q: for thought. If someone makes their own power would they get paid more for the power produced during peak energy usage time? :conf003: :stirpot:

If you get solar panels, they are most likely to produce at their peak during peak energy usage times. It only makes sense that you get paid for the power you produce at the rate that the power company charges during the time the energy is produced. Most people are at work during these times and so residential solar panels could be a way to make some extra cash. Of course, as usual, the big companies will come up with some BS excuse for why they can charge at one rate and pay at another, much lower, rate. And of course they'll get away with it!
:mad002:
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Sun May 20, 2012 7:26 am

I wish someone would run it by me how charging more for peak hours is supposed to save energy. If I wait till 3 am to take a shower I still use the same amount of hot water. In the long run this saves nothing.
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Sun May 20, 2012 10:51 am

surfsteve wrote:I wish someone would run it by me how charging more for peak hours is supposed to save energy. If I wait till 3 am to take a shower I still use the same amount of hot water. In the long run this saves nothing.

It cost more to heat water at 3am then it does at 3pm. ..........cold showers feel better in the hot afternoon.
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:32 am

One injured in Trona area shooting
This must have been why the whirlybirds were flying around yesterday afternoon!
One person was transported to Ridgecrest Regional Hospital following a shooting in Pioneer Point Tuesday afternoon. According to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department, one person was shot in the area of Sixth Street and Ceder Street in Pioneer Point.

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/news/x1245788317/One-injured-in-Trona-area-shooting
sandman
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:09 am

Manzanar Teacher Shoaf Dies at 92
Very nicely written article! Well worth the time it takes to read!
Martha Shoaf began her teaching career at Manzanar and she never stopped sharing the lessons she learned at the Japanese American internment camp. A memorial service was held last Saturday at the Trona Community Church for Shoaf, who passed away on June 3 at the age of 92.

LINK: http://rafu.com/news/2012/07/manzanar-teacher-shoaf-dies-at-92/
panamint_patty
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:11 am

Trona man shot by deputy during chase
More info on shooting.
Nicholas Salinas, 22, of Trona was taken to a hospital for treatment. His wound was not life threatening. San Bernardino County sheriff's officials said he was expected to be booked in jail on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon on a peace officer.

LINK: http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_21102632/trona-man-shot-by-deputy-during-chase
panamint_patty
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:10 am

Suspect shot by SB Sheriff's Deputy during chase in Trona
More on the shooting in Pioneer Point. The article provided a few interesting details, but more interesting was a comment left following the article:
While I have no evidence whatsoever to suggest the suspect didn't have a weapon, my first thought when reading this article is 'did he really have a weapon, or was that just what needed to be said because a law enforcement agent shot him?' And this thought only comes to mind because of so many questionable shootings by law enforcement in the news around the country. Again, not at all because I've heard anything about this particluar case. Anyone else feel like that?

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/news/x1245788764/Suspect-shot-by-SB-Sheriffs-Deputy-during-chase-in-Trona
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:46 am

I took some videos of the chopper flying around. Was wondering what all the commotion was about.
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:59 am

Trona Care lands $75K grant
The article says that there are 14 abandoned houses that might get torn down using this money. Asbestos is an issue with some of them. At least this money will help to make things a little nicer and safer...
:conf1:
The San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors awarded Trona Care, Inc. a $75,000 grant to abate houses and purchase a generator for the Trona Senior Center. Trona Care Inc. is a nonprofit organization, founded by Margaret Gram and co-founders Lit Brush, Connie Courto, Marsha Courto, Bonnie Fairchild, Jackie Leonard and Tim Parnell to improve the community and instill pride in all community members.

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/article/20120823/NEWS/120829889
panamint_patty
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Trona and Death Valley