SPLIT CALIFORNIA!

This is the forum for news pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, Panamint Valley, Saline Valley, Owens Valley, Inyo County, San Bernardino County, and areas immediatelly adjacent to these localities.

SPLIT CALIFORNIA!

Postby wildrose » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:47 am

Plan To Split California Into 2 States
This idea almost certainly won't get too far, but it's actually a pretty good idea considering the size and diversity of this state!
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Re: SPLIT CALIFORNIA!

Postby James Sel » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:34 pm

I've heard the idea come up before. It is an interesting thought. I really haven't formed much opinion yet. :conf003:
But as well as considering a single split. Maybe breaking us up in about thirteen states would give us 24 more US Senators not from the east coast with there own east coast pet projects and earmarks. I'd little more balance in D.C.
LOL here's a thought...12 more states with medical pot now legal, "Imagine that" :onion:
Either way I'm screwed I like in Kern Co. :violin:
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:46 pm

The state I would like to live in would be ' The State Eastern Sierra" The State know for exploiting the 'State of Los Angeles' As part of the States astute water export program. ... It's OK to Dream isn't it.
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:50 am

James Sel wrote:I've heard the idea come up before. It is an interesting thought. I really haven't formed much opinion yet. :conf003:
But as well as considering a single split. Maybe breaking us up in about thirteen states would give us 24 more US Senators not from the east coast with there own east coast pet projects and earmarks. I'd little more balance in D.C.
LOL here's a thought...12 more states with medical pot now legal, "Imagine that" :onion:
Either way I'm screwed I like in Kern Co. :violin:

Dividing up the state into functional entities would be difficult. It would be politically useful to separate Owens Valley from Los Angeles and see how the new state containing the Owens Valley deals with water rights issues. Might be a game changer!
:thumb2:
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:55 am

shadylady wrote:Dividing up the state into functional entities would be difficult. It would be politically useful to separate Owens Valley from Los Angeles and see how the new state containing the Owens Valley deals with water rights issues. Might be a game changer!
:thumb2:

Maybe if people from Los Angeles had to pay a little more for their water, then they might use a little less! I don't know what the water rates are down in Los Angeles, but they should be more than we pay in Trona and if that's not the case then something is really messed up in this state. I'm for splitting CA up into several smaller states, but I doubt that anyone is likely to agree on where to draw the new boundary lines. It's a great idea, but it's not likely to go anywhere!
:conf1:
panamint_patty
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:50 am

List of U.S. state partition proposals
There has been a lot of talk about splitting states in various ways. Here's a list that includes the history of such proposals in California. :up2:
LINK: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_partition_proposals
desertrat
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:53 am

CONTEST TO NAME NEW STATES
To my way of thinking CA should probably be split up into three general areas. There would be a northern area from about San Francisco north, a southern area that would include LA and south, and then the middle area that would obviously be between the northern and southern sections. To publicize and gain support for this movement I propose a CONTEST TO NAME THE NEW STATES! People would be encouraged to submit ideas and the best ideas would be selected for a final vote. It would be lots of fun and it would be for a good cause!!!
:funny:
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:44 pm

I got dibs on "Western Nevada". :tumbleweed:
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:24 am

Split my yard off from California. I don't want to be any part at all of this insanity.
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:09 am

Splitting Nye County
Interesting pair of news articles from Pahrump. It occurs to me that San Bernardino is the single largest county in the lower 48 states in terms of land mass and that splitting it would make even more sense than splitting Nye County!
The idea of splitting up Nye County, the third largest county in area in the U.S., has been murmured about for years, but now the discussions are getting louder at both the county and state level. There is a chance the question of splitting Nye County could be placed on the November 2012 ballot.

LINK: http://pvtimes.com/news/idea-of-splitting-county-gains-momentum/
The Nye County line was moved most recently in 2001, with the passage of Senate Bill 395, introduced by State Sen. Mike McGinness, R-Fallon, on March 19, 2001. It extended the Nye County line two miles into Clark County, from CAAS Road to almost Trout Canyon Road. Then there was Bullfrog County, created by the Nevada Legislature just before it adjourned at 3:45 a.m. June 18, 1987.

LINK: http://pvtimes.com/news/nye-county-line-moved-repeatedly-in-history/
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Tue May 15, 2012 6:55 am

More Cuts Eyed As California Deficit Swells
If California were split geographically into two or more separate states, I wonder how the debt would be split?
:dizzy:
pcslim
Backcountry Hiker

Return to Trona and Death Valley