Yucca Mountain

This is the forum for news pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, Panamint Valley, Saline Valley, Owens Valley, Inyo County, San Bernardino County, and areas immediatelly adjacent to these localities.

Yucca Mountain

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:03 am

Nye County pushes for Yucca Mountain license hearings
It's not surprising the Yucca Mountain is back in the news after the nuclear disaster in Japan.
While the world feared the escape of radiation from a destroyed nuclear reactor in the aftermath of the Japan earthquake, Nye County advocates for the Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository were urging the public to help revive that project. Nye County Commissioner Dan Schinhofen, who expressed his support for Yucca Mountain in his 2010 campaign, urged about 50 people gathered at an open house at the Pahrump Valley Museum Saturday afternoon to write or e-mail incoming members of Congress. He provided a list of the new congressmen.

LINK: http://pvtimes.com/news/nye-county-pushes-for-yucca-mountain-license-hearings/
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Re: Yucca Mountain

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:07 am

Yucca Mountain
Not everyone knows about Yucca Mountain and how close to Trona the site is located. So, maybe a little background info is in order...
:prof:
It neighbors the Nevada Test and Training Range and the Nevada Test Site. The Nevada Test Site was home to 904 atomic bomb tests between 1945 and 1992. Although the Department of Energy is planning to consider other options to Yucca Mountain, it remains the only legal site in the United States for development as a deep geologic repository. The Yucca Mountain Development Act was passed by the Congress and signed by President Bush in 2002 making development of Yucca Mountain the Law. Until Congress amends or changes the law, the Secretary of Energy is charged with pursuing development of Yucca Mountain as the Nation's geologic repository.

In 2010 the future of the proposed waste site was threatened by government action which could leave the United States without any long term solution for its nuclear waste, currently stored on-site at various facilities around the country.

LINK: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Yucca_mountain
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:05 am

FORGET USING SQUIRT GUNS! Michio kaku
Things not looking good in Japan! The only way to avoid nuclear disasters like this is not to use nuclear power in the first place!
:mad002:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:35 am

Safe nuclear does exist, and China is leading the way with thorium
Interesting technological advance. It may not actually be as safe as it's being made out to be, but at least it's an innovation that could possibly lead to an improvement in safety. We'll see...
:bomb:
If China’s dash for thorium power succeeds, it will vastly alter the global energy landscape and may avert a calamitous conflict over resources as Asia’s industrial revolutions clash head-on with the West’s entrenched consumption.

LINK: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/8393984/Safe-nuclear-does-exist-and-China-is-leading-the-way-with-thorium.html
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:21 am

This Is Beyond The Ability Of Japanese Authorities To Contain! I Think This Will End VERY Badly!
I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. There have always been plenty of us who realized that nuclear power was an inevitable disaster just waiting to happen. But it's those with the money that make decisions and all they care about is making money and so they don't bother to ask the rest of us how we feel.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:16 pm

MojaveMike wrote:This Is Beyond The Ability Of Japanese Authorities To Contain! I Think This Will End VERY Badly!
I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. There have always been plenty of us who realized that nuclear power was an inevitable disaster just waiting to happen. But it's those with the money that make decisions and all they care about is making money and so they don't bother to ask the rest of us how we feel.

I agree. I never felt comfortable with this country allowing nuclear power plants to be built. Fossil fuels are bad, but nuclear is worse!
:shock:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:56 pm

A nuclear error, but I have no fear...
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:09 am

pcslim wrote:FORGET USING SQUIRT GUNS! Michio kaku
Things not looking good in Japan! The only way to avoid nuclear disasters like this is not to use nuclear power in the first place!

I just posted a video of all the fall out that is hitting us on the other thread and saw Mr Greens invitation to join this one.
Regarding the video above. Weren't there some sort of problems with entombing Fukushima with concrete?
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:22 am

Regarding the fallout from Fukushima, I have two thoughts:
1) There's not much we can do about it (except maybe take iodine tablets)
2) The radiation increase will be so miniscule that it will add up to about a thousandth of the dose you'd get when the dentist x-rays your teeth.
As for nuclear energy in general: Dumb idea - it's a disaster waiting to happen... again and again and again...
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Here is a video of some guys in Japan driving 1.5 miles from the plant. At first I thought they were in radiation suits and protective gear but when the one guys video camera shows the other guys hand holding a gieger counter all beeping and scratching he isn't even wearing gloves!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:46 pm

thanks for the Video Steve. It was interesting. all I can say is God bless Japan.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:13 am

We need to have something in the title of the thread about Fukushima!

Check it out. That video went viral and the guy is being interviewed on CNN!
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/ ... n?hpt%3DT1

He says he didn't wear a suit because the radiation suits dont do any good against the main source of radiation. He said they did take iodide pills and their mouths and noses were covered but that was about all the protection they had.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Next

Return to Trona and Death Valley