Technopanics and Other Unfounded Fears

Feel free to post on any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere on the board.

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:01 am

Ever notice that television news tends to exaggerate threats? Ever notice how a certain segment of the population tends to react to perceived threats before really thinking through the information that is available? It may well be that these people are just plain dumb, but at least some of them are probably salvageable if they would just learn how to think critically and analytically about the information they've been provided with. Intellectual self-defense skills might help them to resist knee-jerk emotional reactions. The following article provides a good example of how a large portion of the population uncritically bought into the hypothesis that there was a causal link between video game violence and other forms of violence.
Many folks are discussing Christopher Ferguson’s latest paper on “The School Shooting / Violent Video Game Link: Causal Relationship or Moral Panic?” And with good reason. It’s an important look at how “moral panics” develop in modern society, in this case around video games. [Moral panics is a subject I have written on at length here many times before. Alice Marwick's brilliant article on "technopanics" is also worth reading in this regard].

CLICK HERE FOR MORE --> http://techliberation.com/2009/01/23/video-games-and-moral-panic/
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Re: Technopanics and Other Unfounded Fears

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:03 am

'9/11 Conspiracy Theories Ridiculous' - Al Qaeda
There's a lot of deranged and incoherent thinking in our society. I don't know who's worse, the 9/11 conspiracy theorists or the people who obsess over every conceivable imaginary danger! Sometimes I think that we're a nation of nutcases, but then I turn off the television and realize that it's all a show!
:funny:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:48 am

Whatever happened to that thread about the lady in Nevada who got life in prison for allowing a 13-year-old boy touch her boob? That seems like a perfect example of how moral panic leads to ridiculous over-reactions. The quest to keep kids safe from imaginary (or extremely exaggerated) threats has lead to a lot of really stupid laws. A lot of people are in prison or have lost their jobs as a result of a failure of law-makers to keep things in realistic perspective. Someone needs to repost that thread about that lady. Her story is a real eye opener!
:curse:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:26 am

pcslim wrote:Whatever happened to that thread about the lady in Nevada who got life in prison for allowing a 13-year-old boy touch her boob? That seems like a perfect example of how moral panic leads to ridiculous over-reactions. The quest to keep kids safe from imaginary (or extremely exaggerated) threats has lead to a lot of really stupid laws. A lot of people are in prison or have lost their jobs as a result of a failure of law-makers to keep things in realistic perspective. Someone needs to repost that thread about that lady. Her story is a real eye opener!
:curse:

Politicians know they can win votes anytime they want to by appealing to the fears of the public. The child safety thing is probably the most obvious of all these scams, but the whole terrorism panic works the same way and don't even get me started on the supposed dangers of the internet. In an effort to grab votes politicians have created laws that basically put all adults (especially males) at risk of being sent to prison for just about anything. It's totally insane and yet the masses vote for these idiots even though what they do while in office is obviously against our best interests. To put it bluntly we've put ourselves in REAL danger by making laws to protect ourselves from IMAGINARY dangers. If that's not the epitome of total insanity, then I don't know what is!
:crazy2:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:43 am

MojaveMike wrote:'9/11 Conspiracy Theories Ridiculous' - Al Qaeda
There's a lot of deranged and incoherent thinking in our society. I don't know who's worse, the 9/11 conspiracy theorists or the people who obsess over every conceivable imaginary danger! Sometimes I think that we're a nation of nutcases, but then I turn off the television and realize that it's all a show!
:funny:

The 9-11 conspiracy is real. 9-11 was a coup by members within our own government. It was real and there is a mountain of evidence to prove it that the media is forced to ignore.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:51 am

I just watched that video and it was retarded. I've seen better acting in wrestling matches. I wonder what TSP airport checkpoint that "terrorist" guy walked through before he came on the air. This is nuts!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:43 am

Conspiracy Theory With Teeth: Government Allegedly Forced TruTV To Yank FEMA Camps Episode
It's best to just let conspiracy myths die naturally. When the government steps in and actively tries to censor them, then it looks as if the stories could be true and gives the nutjobs something to rant about.
:frightened:
What is one sure-fired way to feed a conspiracy theory? Make a TV episode supposedly exposing a conspiracy theory and then, after alleged government pressure, have truTV yank that episode off the air. The episode was Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy Theory "Police State" about "secret" FEMA camps or fusion centers. There are still no public answers as to why this happened. It is, at the least, thought-provoking.

Although I did not see this episode when it aired, and had never seen Ventura's Conspiracy Theory series, I did watch the program via YouTube to see what all the fuss was about. "The secret government plan to spy on, round up, and imprison innocent Americans." Taken from the narrator's description, "Jesse Ventura uncovers a plot to force martial law on law abiding citizens, replace 50 states with 10 giant prison sectors, fill up hundreds of concentration camps with people like you and me, and pull the trigger with a disease pandemic."

LINK: http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/conspiracy-theory-teeth-government-allegedly-
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:12 pm

Chomsky dispels 9/11 conspiracies with sheer logic
Yes, 9/11 was exploited by our government and other governments around the world, BUT they did not plan it or even allow it. :up2:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:14 pm

surfsteve wrote:I just watched that video and it was retarded. I've seen better acting in wrestling matches. I wonder what TSP airport checkpoint that "terrorist" guy walked through before he came on the air. This is nuts!

The video is from The Onion. You should probably go to their website. It's a joke! They are joking. They aren't serious!!!!!!!! The onion website has been around since the 1990s and pretty much everybody understands that they are a comedy site!
:smack:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:12 am

Bill Maher On Child Predators
People worry about the wrong things! Bill Maher puts things into proper perspective. :pacman:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:08 am

a2z wrote:
surfsteve wrote:I just watched that video and it was retarded. I've seen better acting in wrestling matches. I wonder what TSP airport checkpoint that "terrorist" guy walked through before he came on the air. This is nuts!

The video is from The Onion. You should probably go to their website. It's a joke! They are joking. They aren't serious!!!!!!!! The onion website has been around since the 1990s and pretty much everybody understands that they are a comedy site!
:smack:

Satire. Should have figured it for an onion prank. I actually don't know anybody in real life that believes the official story and trusts the government. So then nobody actually believes that crap they are shoving down our throats? Sure had me going.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:54 pm

shadylady wrote:Bill Maher On Child Predators
People worry about the wrong things! Bill Maher puts things into proper perspective. :pacman:

Maher has a way of cutting through the BS. He's quite witty and makes a lot of good points much of the time. This is one of the best clips of him in action that I've seen!
:thumb:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Next

Return to General Discussion