Technopanics and Other Unfounded Fears

Feel free to post on any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere on the board.

Re: Technopanics and Other Unfounded Fears

Postby desertrat » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:20 pm

According To KRQE News, The Pedobear Threat Is Real
I've got to agree with the previous two posts. This almost seems like something that THE ONION would have done. Pretending to be serious, but really it's a joke all along. The mindless stupidity of the people in this video is unbelievable. I didn't think it was possible for anyone to be so stupid. I am completely amazed. Such stunning stupidity... it has to be a joke, but it's not!!!!
:dizzy:
:popcorn:
I can’t help but feel like I’m walking into a trap here. By all accounts this seems like an honest, straightforward news clip and given the light research I’ve done (asking a guy), this is in fact real. But it just seems so tailor made for Internet ridicule. The earnest cluelessness of the anchors. The empty threats from the Attorney General’s office. The chick up on the roof. It screams put-on but shows no wink, wink. To paraphrase Terri Hatcher, “It’s real. And it’s spectacular.”

LINK: http://www.screenjunkies.com/video/according-to-krqe-news-the-pedobear-threat-is-very-real/
desertrat
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:44 pm

Don't Roll Your Eyes At This Post, Or You Might Violate An Anti-Bullying Law
This is no joke! There are actually proponents of anti-bullying laws who define eye-rolling as bullying! What a bunch of freaking morons!!! Is there any intelligent life left on this planet?!!!
:rolleyes2:
We've been covering the moral panic going around concerning "online bullying" for sometime. Despite lots of fear mongering, there is little to no evidence that online bullying is really a huge thing. Does it happen? Sure. There's no way to stop bullying. The problem is that in these moral panics, you get absolutely ridiculous legal proposals, like the one from some state Senators in NY who flat out admitted that perhaps we've got too much free speech. Among the things they considered to be bullying? Online trolling and flaming. Yeah, perhaps we should outlaw our comment section. Oh yeah, they also said excluding someone from a group was bullying.

LINK: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111203/01141616962/dont-roll-your-eyes-this-post-you-might-violate-anti-bullying-law.shtml
MojaveMike
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:07 pm

Anonymizer wrote:Bill Maher On Child Predators
People worry about the wrong things! Bill Maher puts things into proper perspective. :pacman:

This video really does put things into proper perspective! I've re-watched it several times during the last year and every time I watch it I feel like Maher has hit the nail squarely on the head! In fact, I imagine that a lot of the hysteria over sex crimes against children is the result of parents who feel guilty over the REAL abuse perpetrated against children as described here by Maher. They just appreciate easy scapegoats that take the focus off of the abuse that they themselves perpetrate against their own children as the result of ignorance and negligence! Ignorance probably should be an excuse for unintentionally breaking the law, but it should most definitely not be an excuse for bad parenting!
:curse:
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:21 am

Judith Levine
Here's a lady with something interesting to say on this topic. No nonsense, just hard analysis of how hysterical over-reactions occur and great ideas on how to solve social problems! Her book, Harmful To Minors, debunks all sorts of harmful myths perpetuated by social do-gooders!
:mad002:
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Postby a2z » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:12 am

"Homosexual Agenda" the "Iceberg" to Destroy America :crazy:
Usually when people talk about icebergs and social policy, it's a pretty good sign that whatever they say is going to be complete BS. Many religious people push all sorts of legislation to regulate the conduct of other people and PRETEND that they are the ones being persecuted. It's one of the strangest social phenomenon there is, but it's highly observable. Some of these religious people live their lives in a constant state of delusional paranoia and it doesn't help when these delusions are reinforced by "reports" like this one!
a2z
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:35 am

Etan Patz: First Milk Carton Face, 33 Years Later
There have always been horror stories about children being victimized by bad people. It's not a new thing, but the over-reaction and the paranoia are a new thing. While it is a good thing to watch out for the safety of kids, it is not healthy to obsess over the safety of kids. Obsession leads to all sorts of negative consequences and rather than helping to resolve a problem, it only makes the problem worse or creates more problems.
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:10 am

Are Wetland Preserves Simply Dead-Body Dumping Grounds?
Ridiculous? Not as bad as some of the discussions they have on "real" news shows!
panamint_patty
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:26 am

Youth program teaches kids to fight back
Stranger abductions are so incredibly rare that it almost seems like a waste of time to make them a focus. Teaching kids to fight back against a danger which is 99% imaginary probably is not a psychologically healthy thing to do since it produces a distorted sense of reality. But this kind of story does appeal to those who buy into the whole stranger danger paranoia and provides them with a smug sense of having done something good for children while at the same time supporting military interventions in other countries which result in the deaths of thousands of innocent children... talk about distorted sense of reality!
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Previous

Return to General Discussion