Things I didn't know about John Stewart.

Feel free to post on any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere on the board.

Things I didn't know about John Stewart.

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:49 am

Since Everybody is always quoting John Stewart all the time I decided to see what I could find out about him and why he might be so popular.

Here are some interesting quotes I borrowed from the Wiki encyclopedia about him:

Stewart was born Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz. According to Stewart, he was subjected to anti-Semitic bullying as a child. He describes himself in high school as "very into Eugene Debs. (A man that ran for president from federal prison.)

His older brother, Larry, is currently Chief Operating Officer of NYSE Euronext (parent company of the New York Stock Exchange)

He initially majored in chemistry before switching to psychology.

In college, Stewart was friends with future Congressman Anthony Weiner, who is the only politician to have received campaign donations from Stewart. ( See the Anthony Weiner sexting scandal ALSO KNOWN AS WEINERGATE!)

In 1984 Stewart became a brother of the Pi Kappa Alpha (A secret fraternity.)

Stewart won a Grammy Award for Best Comedy Album in 2005 for his recording, America (The Audiobook): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction. (A childish political satire that corporate America and the powers that be hope you take seriously)

Stewart and The Daily Show received the 2005 National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) George Orwell Award for Distinguished Contribution to Honesty and Clarity in Public Language. (Probably for poisoning the minds of people with his audio book! To learn more about what I found out about the NCTE visit http://www.education.com/reference/arti ... g-trouble/ The NCTE isn't mentioned till page 2 in the link Or google "Charlotte Iserbyt". She has plenty to say about them.)
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Things I didn't know about John Stewart.

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:55 am

If anybody is interested I found a copy or Stewart's book yesterday while I was researching him at http://www.scribd.com/doc/47113227/Amer ... y-Inaction

I also found a torrent to download the audio version by using the magnetic torrent link below:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:feb0ebf85657f3ab16afa4f37f35d8aa226732e3&dn=America+the+book&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.istole.it%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.ccc.de%3A80
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MRGREEN » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:37 pm

I'm a proud owner of America by John Stewart! That's one funny book! BTW, it's been repeatedly shown that people who watch The Daily Show with John Stewart are much more informed than Fox News viewers. Kind of makes you wonder!
:yup:
MRGREEN
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:14 am

That's like saying people that eat rocks are more informed than people who beat themselves over the head with them. If you think Fox is bad try some of the other networks. There isn't enough truth in all of them put together to fill a thimble.
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:34 am

If you really want a comedian to give you your news try George Carlin. You wont find him promoting nuclear power or writing an entire text book on how to be an inactive democrat!

surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:31 pm

“The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” is going nuclear.

The Nuclear Energy Institute, representing companies including Entergy Corp. (ETR) and Southern Co. (SO), will use the Emmy- award winning Comedy Central show starting today for an advertising campaign showing the value of atomic power a year after the triple meltdown at Japan’s Fukushima Dai-Ichi plant.

Jon Stewart during a taping of "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" in New York on Nov. 30, 2011. Photographer: Brad Barket/AP Photo

The industry wants “to reach some of the younger audience that are helping to shape policy,” Scott Peterson, the Washington-based industry group’s senior vice president for communications, told reporters on a conference call yesterday.

NEI will double its annual advertising spending on the campaign, Peterson said, without providing specific figures. The ads will appear in the next six months in such outlets as the Washington Post, the Economist, Bloomberg Businessweek, and on “NBC Nightly News With Brian Williams,” the network’s “Meet the Press,” National Public Radio and Facebook.

The NEI is joining other industry groups, such as the American Petroleum Institute, that are seeking to reach policymakers in an election year where energy policy has become a central theme. A glut of cheap natural gas has discouraged investment in other sources of electricity, and the average retail price of gasoline for the week ended March 16 reached $3.87 a gallon, the Energy Department said.
API Commercials

API, which represents oil companies such as ConocoPhillips (COP) of Houston and Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM) of Irving, Texas, today plans to start a series of commercials aimed at encouraging President Barack Obama to take action to lower gas prices, Sabrina Fang, a spokeswoman for the group, said in an e-mail.

The oil group supports congressional approval of TransCanada Corp. (TRP)’s proposed Keystone XL pipeline, which the Obama administration has stalled pending completion of further environmental review early next year.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission two weeks ago issued its first orders in response to the Fukushima disaster and six weeks ago awarded Southern of Atlanta a permit to build reactors, ending a 30-year drought for new projects.

“Our goal is to communicate the overriding need for nuclear energy,” which provides about 20 percent of all electricity generated in the U.S., Peterson, of the NEI, said.

NEI spent $2.18 million on lobbying in 2011, up 29 percent from its expenditures in 2010, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Expenditures for 2012, released each quarter, aren’t available.
Indian Point

While the industry’s message within the past year dealt with safety after the crisis in Japan, the campaign today will promote nuclear power as a reliable, low-carbon source of energy that creates jobs, he said.

About 57 percent of 1,032 Americans polled by market- research group ORC International are less supportive of nuclear power than they were before the Fukushima disaster, according to a March 7 survey released by the Civil Society Institute, the Newton, Massachusetts-based research group that commissioned the study.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has said Entergy’s Indian Point plant, about 24 miles (39 kilometers) north of New York City, should be closed because of its proximity to the nation’s most populous metropolitan area, which would be difficult to evacuate in an emergency.

To contact the reporter on this story: Brian Wingfield in Washington at bwingfield3@bloomberg.net
LinK: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-2 ... y-ads.html
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MRGREEN » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:17 pm

surfsteve wrote:That's like saying people that eat rocks are more informed than people who beat themselves over the head with them. If you think Fox is bad try some of the other networks. There isn't enough truth in all of them put together to fill a thimble.

No, it's like quizzing two groups of people on current events and seeing which group scores higher on average on the quiz. Stewart does a good job of presenting political satire and most people who are into Stewart also peruse the news to some extent. They may not be news junkies, but they do pay attention to what's going on. Stewart does a good job of blowing the whistle on news channels that fail to provide fair and accurate news. It just so happens that Fox News fails more often than most news channels. In fact, they seem to intentionally misinform their audience.
MRGREEN
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:30 am

I guess it depends upon where you are looking at it from. Seems like people that get their News from outside sources other than the idiot box would see very little difference between people that get their news from one network or another. Comparing one network to another such as FOX is like re arraigning deck chairs on the Titanic and I liken your attempts at getting people to focus on them as an exercise in futility.
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:45 am

MRGREEN wrote:I'm a proud owner of America by John Stewart! That's one funny book! BTW, it's been repeatedly shown that people who watch The Daily Show with John Stewart are much more informed than Fox News viewers. Kind of makes you wonder!

I didn't realize we were talking about the same book because you shortened it's title to "America". The thought of such a disgusting book (available free by clicking on the link)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/47113227/Amer ... y-Inaction

simply being called "America" makes me cringe!

Jon Stewart is a very funny man but he often pokes fun at the truth and glamorizes inaction and futility just like he does in his book. I'm starting to see a connection. That seems to be a common theme with all posts as well. What is your agenda?
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:05 am

surfsteve wrote:
MRGREEN wrote:I'm a proud owner of America by John Stewart! That's one funny book! BTW, it's been repeatedly shown that people who watch The Daily Show with John Stewart are much more informed than Fox News viewers. Kind of makes you wonder!

I didn't realize we were talking about the same book because you shortened it's title to "America". The thought of such a disgusting book (available free by clicking on the link)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/47113227/Amer ... y-Inaction

simply being called "America" makes me cringe!

Jon Stewart is a very funny man but he often pokes fun at the truth and glamorizes inaction and futility just like he does in his book. I'm starting to see a connection. That seems to be a common theme with all posts as well. What is your agenda?

I have a copy of America also and you seem to completely miss the point of the book. To say that he "glamorizes inaction and futility" is so completely off target that I am amazed. Stewart uses humor to expose hypocrisy and most of his humor is heavy with sarcasm and so what you misinterpret as glamorizing negative attitudes is actually a criticism of negative attitudes.
surfsteve wrote:I guess it depends upon where you are looking at it from. Seems like people that get their News from outside sources other than the idiot box would see very little difference between people that get their news from one network or another. Comparing one network to another such as FOX is like re arraigning deck chairs on the Titanic and I liken your attempts at getting people to focus on them as an exercise in futility.

Most people I know don't spend much time watching the "idiot box". You might be making assumptions which aren't valid. As for outside sources, there are some good websites, blogs, etc. and then there are some incredibly bad websites, blogs, etc. There are a lot of wackjobs out there who spout off about things they know nothing about and unfortunately some of these wackjobs have huge audiences of devoted followers. A few of the videos that you (SurfSteve) have posted have been created by some of these wackjob types. You should think more critically about what some of these wackjobs have to say instead of behaving like a devoted cultist. Perhaps I am under-estimating you and you have posted some of these videos so that the rest of us will know that they are sources of misinformation, but you haven't provided commentary indicating such and so I must assume that you are actually endorsing some of these wackjobs.
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Return to General Discussion