Nuclear Power

Feel free to post on any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere on the board.

Nuclear Power

Postby surfsteve » Sun May 20, 2012 9:57 am

I know we have a Fukushima thread, a Yucca Mountain Thread and even a San Onofre thread but I thought it might be a good idea to start a non news, educational, informational thread about Nuclear power up for plain old general discussion.

May I begin with this video titled "Why Nuclear Power Plants are a bad idea"?

Take notice of the date. This was a full two years before the start of the Fukushima incident.
The Case Against Centralized Nuclear and Coal Power Plants: A Panel chaired by Karen Charman with Mary Olson, whistleblower Arnie Gunderson, and Miche Lee, detailing the environmental inappropriateness and danger of nuclear power and centralized coal power plants, and considering lessons learned from the 3 Mile Island disaster.

Recorded April 19, 2009 as part of annual Left Forum conference held at Pace University April 17-19, 2009

Hmm. Why doesn't somebody just invent a wood stove sized power plant that will generate electricity for individual homes? At the same time the excess heat could heat the house and make hot water or separate hydrogen from oxygen when it's not needed elsewhere. Yeah coal or wood is a good idea. But why not make this thing run off waste and garbage and while we are at it make it run off a remote too? Hmm... Maybe that last part wasn't such a good idea... people tend to loose those... maybe it could be controlled by a cell phone or something.
I'm just sayin...
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Return to General Discussion