Blackturtle Books

Feel free to post on any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere on the board.

Blackturtle Books

Postby wildrose » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:38 am

I read the first Black Turtle book (Tale of the Turtle) and I read The Fake News. I like both and will probably read another book or two by the author of this website in the next year. Recently, I noticed that another book has been published called Campfire Songs. Some of the topics covered in these books are pretty controversial, but I like the way the author deals with these topics. I'm just wondering if anyone else has read any of these books. I'd also like to ask the author how much of the books are based on real life experiences.
:sunshine:
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Blackturtle Books

Postby blackturtle.us » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks for taking the time to read a couple of my books! To answer your question about how much of the books are based on real life experiences, I'd have to say that little bits and pieces of real life get mixed in with the various story elements. Also I have some fun lampooning characters and plot elements taken from various media presentations. I think all writers draw upon their own experiences when creating fiction. However, everything is reworked, remixed, and tweaked and so there is no direct correlation between what appears in my books and my life experiences. Hope that answers your question!
:thumb:
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:02 pm

Having read the descriptions for some of the books featured on this site, I can't say that I'm likely to read any of them, but The Fake News sounds fairly interesting and although Kill The Cat has a title that sounds a little harsh, the description makes it seem like it might be interesting. Anyone who has the wherewithal to complete a single book is all right in my book and to have completed nine is a feat worthy of much admiration in my opinion. Keep up the good work!
bouncer
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Postby a2z » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Some of the books look interesting. A couple of the books listed as suggested reading on the Campfire Songs page were on a reading list for a sociology class I took a year or so ago. I may read that one or I may read The Fake News and/or The Dysfunctional Logic of Power. BTW, some of the videos posted by the author of this website and the books are pretty good too. There was one with pigs in a cartoon that was pretty funny! Mostly I recall the strange smile on the drummer!
:dizzy:
a2z
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:25 am

a2z wrote:Some of the books look interesting. A couple of the books listed as suggested reading on the Campfire Songs page were on a reading list for a sociology class I took a year or so ago. I may read that one or I may read The Fake News and/or The Dysfunctional Logic of Power. BTW, some of the videos posted by the author of this website and the books are pretty good too. There was one with pigs in a cartoon that was pretty funny! Mostly I recall the strange smile on the drummer!

Yeah, I'm more of a video-watcher than a book-reader too. I have skimmed some of the book descriptions though and I think I can honestly say that I'd watch a movie based on any of those books!
:pacman:
pcslim
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:25 am

blackturtle.us wrote:Thanks for taking the time to read a couple of my books! To answer your question about how much of the books are based on real life experiences, I'd have to say that little bits and pieces of real life get mixed in with the various story elements. Also I have some fun lampooning characters and plot elements taken from various media presentations. I think all writers draw upon their own experiences when creating fiction. However, everything is reworked, remixed, and tweaked and so there is no direct correlation between what appears in my books and my life experiences. Hope that answers your question!
:thumb:

Thanks for answering my question! BTW, I watched your video about the artwork for the cover of your latest book. Sounds like an interesting book! :pacman:
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:41 am

a2z wrote:Some of the books look interesting. A couple of the books listed as suggested reading on the Campfire Songs page were on a reading list for a sociology class I took a year or so ago. I may read that one or I may read The Fake News and/or The Dysfunctional Logic of Power. BTW, some of the videos posted by the author of this website and the books are pretty good too. There was one with pigs in a cartoon that was pretty funny! Mostly I recall the strange smile on the drummer!

Yeah, I like the sound of the name of the Campfire Songs book. It sounds kind of fun although I don't know exactly what it's about. It seems that I saw a video previewing the basic stories for The Fake News and The Dysfunctional Logic of Power. I think the author was sitting in an outhouse in that video, if I recall correctly! Both of those books sound like they could be interesting, but I mostly just read articles and rarely books and when I do read books its usually non-fiction. The only fiction I usually enjoy is in the form of movies. Make the books into movies and I'll probably WATCH them!!!
:laughingx2:
MojaveMike
Backcountry Hiker

Postby a2z » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:29 pm

I especially like the fact that he used The GIMP to make the cover. It didn't turn out too badly either, BTW!

:thumb2:
a2z
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:10 am

BACK IN DECEMBER I WROTE:
shadylady wrote:Having read the descriptions for some of the books featured on this site, I can't say that I'm likely to read any of them, but The Fake News sounds fairly interesting and although Kill The Cat has a title that sounds a little harsh, the description makes it seem like it might be interesting. Anyone who has the wherewithal to complete a single book is all right in my book and to have completed nine is a feat worthy of much admiration in my opinion. Keep up the good work!
bouncer

Well, I wound up reading a few of these books and Campfire Songs was my favorite of the bunch. I especially enjoyed the commentary provided which amplifies some of the themes presented in the plot line. Also the suggested reading list at the end of the book is fantastic. I've ordered a couple of the items and have already read the others! Campfire Songs does a good job at portraying some of the dysfunctional ways that our legal system and the media work together to make a sensationalistic mess out of a non-problem! Great work, blackturtle!!!
:thumb2:
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Postby blackturtle.us » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:47 am

Tale of the Turtle Cover Redesign :thumb:
I don't usually do acoustic songs with this style of vocals, but sometimes I just like to try something different. Anyways, the song tells the story of a recent cover redesign for my first book. The original publisher messed up and so I decided to change publishers for this book. Read the video description at YouTube for more info: http://youtu.be/Gnk59ZgSFHE
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Return to General Discussion