Polygamy (Alternative Lifestyles)

Feel free to post on any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere on the board.

Polygamy (Alternative Lifestyles)

Postby shadylady » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:39 am

How Do You Legislate Polygamy?
The government should stay out of the private lives of citizens. There is nothing inherently anti-social about polygamy and so leave it alone!
The lawsuit is not demanding that states recognize polygamous marriage. Instead, the lawsuit builds on a 2003 United States Supreme Court decision, Lawrence v. Texas, which struck down state sodomy laws as unconstitutional intrusions on the “intimate conduct” of consenting adults. It will ask the federal courts to tell states that they cannot punish polygamists for their own “intimate conduct” so long as they are not breaking other laws, like those regarding child abuse, incest or seeking multiple marriage licenses.

LINK: http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2011/07/12/kody_brown_of_sister_wives_is_challenging_utah_polygamy_law.html?wpisrc=obinsite
Last edited by shadylady on Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Polygamy

Postby wildrose » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:29 am

Absolutely! Polygamy is a lifestyle. The government has no business regulating the personal lives of citizens. In fact, interfering with the personal lives of individuals is a form of tyranny. All laws against polygamy should be nullified. That being said, I would never want to be in a polygamous relationship, but then again, I have no desire to smoke tobacco, but I believe people should have the right to decide what they want to do for themselves. We really don't need Big Brother (some idiot with power or group of idiots with power) deciding what we can and can't do in our private lives!
:soap:
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Polygamy

Postby shadylady » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:03 pm

'Homosexuality is a Mental Disorder' - Michigan Mayor
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! The young woman in this video makes some excellent points. She asks, "How can people this stupid get elected to political office?" I've asked that question so many times and I still don't know the answer! (Since I started this thread I feel free to change it's direction slightly! It now pertains to alternative lifestyles!!!)
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Polygamy (Alternative Lifestyles)

Postby pcslim » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:57 am

Sh*t Homophobic People Say
I admit that I had issues with homophobia when I was a young man, but back then society hadn't evolved and was still stuck in a state of unenlightened ignorance. I think I'm over my homophobia now, but I still don't have any friends who are gay, but I don't think sexual orientation would be a reason why I would reject someone as a potential friend. At least I hope not!
pcslim
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:45 am

GOP Lawmaker Believes AIDS Misinformation
How do we wind up with public officials that are so incredibly dumb? Most high school students realize that AIDS is now a bigger problem among heterosexuals than among homosexuals, but this guy is completely clueless! And look how confident he looks in the picture! He's amazingly stupid, but completely sure of himself. That's a dangerous combination. It often seems that those least capable are those most willing to step forward and take the lead!
:smack:
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:46 am

The Story Mitt Romney's Family Coming To America... Then Leaving... Then Coming Back Again!
Interesting info on the Romney Family's polygamous past. Apparently after polygamy was outlawed in the USA, they moved down to Mexico to start a polygamist Mormon colony. Romney's great-grandfather had five wives! Sounds like he was a busy guy!
:horny:
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:50 am

Sex Crisis In Japan?
This is the first time I've ever heard the term herbivore men. For a very large portion of the population in Japan the pay-offs of sex are not worth the trouble. Some of them even "despise" sex!
:conf003:
shadylady
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:49 am

U.S. appeals court rules Prop. 8 unconstitutional
This seems like a reasonable ruling to me. Although it may be controversial, there is no good reason why it should be considered controversial. Fair is fair and just because a majority of people want to be unfair, it doesn't mean they should have the right to discriminate against a minority. Let's say that the majority of people wanted to legalize slavery and make all gingers their slaves. They might follow the democratic process and win popular support for their cause, but ultimately the courts would hopefully follow the law and rule the initiative unconstitutional. That's exactly what happened here. Just because the majority of people like or don't like something doesn't give the majority the right to dictate what other people are allowed to or not allowed to do.
A federal appeals court declared California's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage unconstitutional Tuesday in a ruling that was both historic and, perhaps more importantly, narrowly drafted. The 2-1 ruling by the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco was the first ever by a federal appellate court to overturn any of the recent proliferation of state laws defining marriage as the union of a man and a woman.

LINK: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/02/07/BA1H1N3T1H.DTL
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:04 am

Bill O'Reilly Rips Prop. 8 Ruling As 'Judicial Activism'
Bill O'Reilly's argument here is severely difficient and Cenk Uygur does a pretty good job of breaking it down!
:yup:
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactusoid » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Ellen Addresses Her JCPenney Critics :yippy2:
Ellen standing up to some hate group that calls itself Million Moms!
cactusoid
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby wildrose » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:54 am

Amazing Gay Marriage Speech Goes Viral (Maureen Walsh)
Rare honesty from a politician! :thumb2:
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:58 am

CNN's Anderson Cooper quietly reveals he's gay :yippy2:
No surprise here! I thought he had already publicly proclaimed that he's gay!
:thumb:
panamint_patty
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to General Discussion