Religious Nutjobs

Feel free to post on any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere on the board.

Religious Nutjobs

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:42 am

Religious Nutjobs!
Not sure how I came across this one, but talk about bizarre! :up2:
I'm pretty sure that this is what happens after generations of deliberate and systematic in-breeding!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Re: Religious Nutjobs

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:14 am

Don’t go hiking with religious nutjobs
I know a lot of people who are very devoted to their religion and most of them seem like reasonable people. I feel a little uneasy around them though since anyone capable of believing some of the stuff that they believe in is not really firmly grounded in reality. It makes you wonder. If they are capable of believing that a fantasy is real, then what else are they capable of believing in and how might this impact the decisions they make? At the same time I respect their right to believe in whatever they want to believe in. It's one of those conundrums that ultimately are impossible to answer: How does a sane person live in a world full of insane people?
Imagine you fall down a ravine, and as you lay unconscious, slowly dying, your companions decide that instead of calling for medical help, they need to pray you back to health. If you’re anything like me, you’d will yourself out of your coma and strangle them with your own entrails. Of course if that doesn’t work, you could always try suing them (it’s less messy anyways).

As it turns out, this actually happened (well, minus the strangling part) about two years ago, when Jason Michael Carlsen fell (or was pushed; no one seems to be sure) down a ravine, his companions decided to try and pray for him to come back to life. Once that inevitably failed, they contemplated for hours whether they should call the police. He was left a total of 6 hours out in the open before being rescued, and spent a month in a coma. Now a paraplegic, he’s suing Sarah Elisabeth Koivumaki and Zachary Gudelunas, the two Bethel School loons who actually thought prayer could save him.

LINK: http://www.thegoodatheist.net/2010/10/23/dont-go-hiking-with-religious-nutjobs/
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:06 pm

Preppers: Ready for the End of the World
I bet most of the preppers in this video are also religious nutjobs!!! :alien:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:19 am

Crazy Screaming Christian at some jesus camp
This is probably fairly typical of many religious youth camps. Not that they're all blithering idiots, but... :dizzy:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:05 am

Religious Nutjobs Prey on the Young
Here's a disgusting example of the brainwashing of innocent young children that is routinely conducted in many fundamentalist churches/cults. This is probably the worst type of child abuse imaginable. No other form of child abuse has such devastating and long-lasting effects.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:04 am

Believers: World to End May 21
I'm pretty tolerant of religious people and their beliefs, but sometimes they just go a little too far. So if they quite their jobs because they're convinced that the world is going to end on May 21st, what do they do on May 22nd?
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:25 pm

sandman wrote:Believers: World to End May 21
I'm pretty tolerant of religious people and their beliefs, but sometimes they just go a little too far. So if they quite their jobs because they're convinced that the world is going to end on May 21st, what do they do on May 22nd?

I see right through old Harold in this vid. On 21may he turns 100 yrs old and he want some people to drink Kool-aid with him at his birthday fiesta. Harold always said I hope not to make it to 100, Bottoms up I say! Wonder if any of his followers have a court date the next day LOL!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Ok I did the math the world ends may 20th. I don't think they will be ready on time. :king:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sun May 01, 2011 7:35 am

Why do Americans still dislike atheists?
I think it's true that a certain recalcitrantly stupid segment of society still clings to the idea that religious people are in some way superior to non-religious people, but such ignorance is slowly giving way to a true spiritual enlightenment which can only be attained independent of religious dogma.
:sunshine:
A growing body of social science research reveals that atheists, and non-religious people in general, are far from the unsavory beings many assume them to be. On basic questions of morality and human decency — issues such as governmental use of torture, the death penalty, punitive hitting of children, racism, sexism, homophobia, anti-Semitism, environmental degradation or human rights — the irreligious tend to be more ethical than their religious peers, particularly compared with those who describe themselves as very religious.

LINK: http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-do-americans-still-dislike-atheists/2011/02/18/AFqgnwGF_story.html
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sun May 01, 2011 9:55 am

The God Delusion
Anytime Richard Dawkins and Bill Maher get together for a conversation, it's going to be interesting. A lot of people say that true spirituality and religious devotion are incompatible. I think they make a good point although I don't think I'd go quite that far.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri May 06, 2011 7:54 pm

pcslim wrote:The God Delusion
Anytime Richard Dawkins and Bill Maher get together for a conversation, it's going to be interesting. A lot of people say that true spirituality and religious devotion are incompatible. I think they make a good point although I don't think I'd go quite that far.

AMEN BROTHER! AMEN! :funny:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri May 13, 2011 7:32 am

GOP Assault on Truth: Why Do Conservatives Pretend They Know More About Science Than Scientists?
Conservatives are clueless blowhards. That's all you really need to know about conservatives. They are sometimes proficient orators, but they don't know what the heck they're talking about. It's amazing how many people fall for their BS!
:smack:
The conservative attack on science is old and driven by many factors: religious opposition to reason, Barry Goldwater-style anti-intellectualism, corporate muscle, and straight-up Nixonian lies. Nixon liked to play the role of philosopher king, privately conceding that the Vietnam War was unwinnable but declaring the American people unworthy of knowing so. There are some who resist science because of sincere if misguided religious belief, and others who consciously manipulate facts for economic gain. The result, however, is always the same: a stupider America less well-prepared to make good decisions.

LINK: http://www.alternet.org/news/150854/gop_assault_on_truth%3A_why_do_conservatives_pretend_they_know_more_about_science_than_scientists/
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Next

Return to General Discussion