GMO's

Feel free to post on any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere on the board.

GMO's

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:53 am

This trailer claims scientists are under attack for exposing the dangers of Geneticly Modified "Foods" only they don't call them that. They call them geneticly modified "organisims". That's the first redflag or clue right there!

Statements made by scientists themselves prove that 95% of the research in the area of
genetic engineering is paid by the industry. Only 5% of the research is independent. The big
danger for freedom of science and our democracy is evident. Can the public -- we all -- still
trust our scientists?
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Re: GMO's

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:02 am

I was reading an article yesterday that says nobody is allowed to do research on GMO's except the company's that own them because they are patented. Only the companies that own the patents are allowed to work on them because they are considered proprietary secrets. I'm afraid the real secret is that nobody knows the long term effects of GMO's. And what little research that has managed to leak through isn't good!
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/13 ... s-20110213
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:28 am

surfsteve wrote:I was reading an article yesterday that says nobody is allowed to do research on GMO's except the company's that own them because they are patented. Only the companies that own the patents are allowed to work on them because they are considered proprietary secrets. I'm afraid the real secret is that nobody knows the long term effects of GMO's. And what little research that has managed to leak through isn't good!
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/13 ... s-20110213

Lots of half truths there. GMO's are neutral entities. Some could be good and some could be bad. There is nothing inherently unhealthy about GMO's. It's the same genetic material and the only difference is that it's been rearranged, which obviously has implications for the traits of the resulting plant or animal or bacteria, etc. The altered traits could be positive or negative. As for the patenting of GMO's that's a separate issue and many business practices by companies like DuPont and Monsanto are clearly unethical, but so far the government has allowed those practices. All organisms should be treated as open source projects (Linux is an example of an open source project in the computer world).
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:41 am

GMO's are patented and can only be studied if the patent holder gives permission. They have not been proven safe. In most cases they haven't even been tested unless you count the fact that they are being tested upon you right now without your consent and perhaps knowledge. Nobody knows the long term effects of blasting pig genes into vegetables. I agree with you that life forms shouldn't be allowed to be patented and until a few years ago so did the supreme court. If you do some research you will find some very shady dealings went on to make that possible. If you dig even further you will discover that many GMO strains are contaminating fields by wind and insect pollination and the patent holders are suing the contaminated field owners for illegally possessing their patented product.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:09 am

If memory serves me correctly a lot of people back in the 70's were taking the supplement tryptophan and suddenly people started dying from it. Turned out that all of the deaths originated from a single company that was using genetically modified bacteria to grow the tryptophan.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:25 am

In case if anybody is interested I found an article about the deadly GMO strain of L-Tryptophan producing bacteria that happened in the late 80's, according to the article.
http://www.aquarianonline.com/Eco/UnnaturalHarvest.html
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:11 am

According to this video the GMO seed company Monsanto shifts all liability to the farmers but most farmers never read the contract or realize the implications of the contracts that they sign.

I'm a Farmer. I Plant GMO soybeans and Corn, because It is against the law to save seed. I have no Choice. If I want to continue earning a living being a Farmer, I must buy seed from them. The Public is to Blame,not the Farmers. Monsanto bought the Seed companies and eliminated the NonGMO seed availabilty The Public did nothing. Pinkerington armed thugs hired by Monsanto came to our farm and threatened us with Lawsuits, if we didn't consent to property searchs and records 24/7 for 1yr
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:38 am

surfsteve wrote:GMO's are patented and can only be studied if the patent holder gives permission.

That's a misleading statement. Some GMO's are patented, but not all GMO's are patented. Those that are patented can only be legally studied with permission of the patent owner. Many GMO's have been created for research purposes and the research community is allowed to work with them without any more than the usual permissions required for such research. My feeling is that all GMO's should be open to scientific scrutiny and so I object to patents being permitted to serve as a barrier to such scrutiny.

I believe it is the documentary "FOOD INC." in which they discuss legal restrictions on seed saving. It seems bizarre, but it is my understanding that farmers who own adjacent plots who haven't even signed a contract with one of the seed companies peddling GMO's cannot save their own seeds since they may have crossbred with the GMO crop. This more or less forces the non-GMO farmers to buy seed from seed companies since they are not legally permitted to save their own. This is so outlandishly unfair that I can only hope that these claims are exaggerated!

Probably the best known GMO is bt corn. There is interesting information on bt corn at wikipedia.
LINK: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Bt_corn
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:56 pm

pcslim wrote:
surfsteve wrote:GMO's are patented and can only be studied if the patent holder gives permission.

That's a misleading statement. Some GMO's are patented, but not all GMO's are patented. Those that are patented can only be legally studied with permission of the patent owner. Many GMO's have been created for research purposes and the research community is allowed to work with them without any more than the usual permissions required for such research. My feeling is that all GMO's should be open to scientific scrutiny and so I object to patents being permitted to serve as a barrier to such scrutiny.

I believe it is the documentary "FOOD INC." in which they discuss legal restrictions on seed saving. It seems bizarre, but it is my understanding that farmers who own adjacent plots who haven't even signed a contract with one of the seed companies peddling GMO's cannot save their own seeds since they may have crossbred with the GMO crop. This more or less forces the non-GMO farmers to buy seed from seed companies since they are not legally permitted to save their own. This is so outlandishly unfair that I can only hope that these claims are exaggerated!

Probably the best known GMO is bt corn. There is interesting information on bt corn at wikipedia.
LINK: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Bt_corn

I saw Food Inc and found it informative. I've also read dozens of articles on GMOs as well as other health-related hoaxes. It's true that GMOs can be created that are harmful, but it is also true that GMOs can be created that are helpful. Just like you can mix tea with poison, you can also mix tea with lemon juice. It's not the technology (mixing substances into tea or swapping genes between organisms) that's the problem, it's what gets done with the technology that could potentially be harmful. I agree that big corporations are more worried about their profits than our health and so they should not be trusted. There should be no patent protections for GMO food crops. Not only should farmers be allowed to save seed, but researchers should be able to study these GMOs all they want without any fear of lawsuits or other reprisals!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:17 pm

It's crazy. The farmers should be suing Monsanto for contaminating their crops and instead it's the other way around.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:47 am

FRANKENFOODS
The genetically modified foods controversy is a dispute over the relative advantages and disadvantages of genetically modified (GM) food crops and other uses of genetically-modified organisms in food production. The dispute involves biotechnology companies, governmental regulators, non-governmental organizations and scientists. The dispute is most intense in Japan and Europe, where public concern about GM food is higher than in other parts of the world such as the United States. In the United States GM crops are more widely grown and the introduction of these products has been less controversial. The five key areas of political controversy related to genetically engineered food are food safety, the effect on natural ecosystems, gene flow into non GE crops, moral/religious concerns, and corporate control of the food supply. To date, not a single instance of harm to human health or the environment has been documented with GM crops.

LINK: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Genetically_modified_food_controversies
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:06 pm

GMO Corn Begs For Death
Cruel scientists have created corn that not only is bad for you, but it also has consciousness and is capable of feeling pain!
:franky:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Next

Return to General Discussion