GMO's

Feel free to post on any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere on the board.

Re: GMO's

Postby cactuspete » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:54 am

Genetically Modified Pets Your Kids Will Love
Who says GMOs can't be fun?!!! :twirl:
The fluorescent color in our fish is produced by a fluorescent protein gene, which creates the beautiful fluorescence that can be seen when looking at the fish. The fluorescent protein genes occur naturally, and are derived from marine organisms. … Every line of GloFish® fluorescent fish (i.e. Starfire Red®, Electric Green®, Sunburst Orange®, and Cosmic Blue™) starts with a single fish. The general process of developing fluorescent fish … begins by adding a fluorescence gene to the fish before it hatches from its egg. Once the gene integrates into the genome (i.e., genetic code) of the embryo, the developing fish will be able to pass the fluorescence gene along to its offspring upon maturity. Because of this, the gene only needs to be added to one embryo; from that point forward, all subsequent fluorescent fish are the result of traditional breeding.

LINK: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/08/genetically-modified-pets-your-kids-will-love/
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:51 am

Bulletproof Skin Made From Spider Silk
Spidergoats!!! :crazy2:
wildrose
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:33 am

Fake spider webs and fish to play with are fine but do you really want to be eating this stuff?
According to the article below you only need to put one ingredient into something that isn't GMO and you can put a GMO free sticker on the label.
http://farmwars.info/?p=6694
surfsteve
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:56 am

Farmers advance in their suit against Monsanto
I don't necessarily have anything against GMO's, but I am completely against the tactics used by Monsanto to bully farmers into using their products!
:curse:
Monsanto is getting a taste of its own medicine; the company is being taken to court. In this corner, we have a corporate biotech giant with a tighter grasp on the agricultural Monopoly board than your over-enthusiastic little sister on game night. (Their patented genes are in more than 80 percent of the soybeans, corn, cotton, sugar beets, and canola seeds grown in the U.S.) And in this corner, 83 scrappy plaintiffs representing non-GMO seed producers, farmers, and agricultural organizations who say they want the biotech company to stop suing and threatening them. While most are organic, not all of them are.

LINK: http://grist.org/industrial-agriculture/farmers-advance-in-their-suit-against-monsanto/
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:48 am

Test Tube Burgers Coming Soon!
Would you eat cow muscle that was grown in a test tube? :yummytongue:
pcslim
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:00 am

Part Rat, Part Dog?
I don't know what the heck a Rat Terrier is, but it sounds like some kind of scientific experiment gone wrong! Thanks to modern genetic science exotic pets like this will be available to everyone in the not-too-distant future!
CHICO-RICO is a small, 9-month old, black and white Rat Terrier mix. He weighs about 9 lbs. and is approximately 10″ at the shoulder.

LINK: http://www.sierrawave.net/12533/cute-small-mixes/
I think that Cheech and Chong were the first to propose that a rat-dog hybrid might be possible: :crazy2:
cactuspete
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:58 am

Last Pinta Island tortoise now extinct
Maybe they can make a clone? :crazy2:
pcslim
Backcountry Hiker

Previous

Return to General Discussion