NEW USERS

Information pertaining specifically to tronanews.com. Board policy, user information, etc. posted here.

NEW USERS

Postby Anonymizer » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:59 pm

New users must wait for their accounts to be activated before they will be able to post. This was unfortunately necessary because of a large amount of spam being posted to the message board. Some inappropriate materials were posted and so it became necessary to not allow users to just sign up and post. So, when you sign up you won't be able to post right away. I receive an email when you sign up and I must then log in to activate your account. This may take from a couple hours to possibly a day or so (especially if I'm out on a long hike when you sign up). Sorry for this inconvenience, but the spam got to be too much.
:pissy:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Re: NEW USERS

Postby Anonymizer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:21 pm

Please use usernames that can be distinguished from spam. There is no need to divulge personal information, but if your username can't be distinguished from spam, then the account won't get activated. This board has been hit by about a dozen spam user accounts per day. So, try to pick a name that either relates to your personal interests or to the Trona area in some way. Here are a few sample spam usernames that have been created recently (and that were deleted rather than activated): zanzin, bruce1111112, 1osZDfrocklin, lou_dobbs_x80. Sometimes distinguishing between an authentic name and one created by a spambot or a hacker is next to impossible, so try to make my job easy. Please!
:pacman:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:06 am

Allow me to reiterate the issue regarding spam. It has gotten quite bad and it is next to impossible to be certain that some new user accounts are not spam. I must manually activate all new accounts. If you create a new account pick a username that doesn't look like something that was generated by a spam bot or a person who doesn't speak English. Some of the account names I've encountered are purely ridiculous and we're talking something like about 100 fake accounts per week at this time. I can get through about six accounts per minute and so you can do the math and figure out how much time I spend dealing with spam accounts each week. If I deleted your account as a result of mistaking it for spam, please try again. I encourage people to participate on this message board, but due to all the spam I must manually activate accounts and most likely I sometimes delete accounts that aren't spam.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 pm

It's happening everywhere on all of the forums. It's more than likely some kind of software and not even a real person.
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Finally! I've made three user names starting three weeks ago and finally one of them gets accepted! I read the posts about this problem, but maybe you should be more careful because you apparently rejected my first two user names. I swear I'm a real person! Really!
:angel:
I'll have my avatar up in a couple minutes! I already have it made!
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:53 pm

mrfish wrote:Finally! I've made three user names starting three weeks ago and finally one of them gets accepted! I read the posts about this problem, but maybe you should be more careful because you apparently rejected my first two user names. I swear I'm a real person! Really!

I guess I was lucky to set up my account before the spam attack started. Someone really should spam the spammers! :crazy2:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:39 am

MRGREEN wrote:
mrfish wrote:Finally! I've made three user names starting three weeks ago and finally one of them gets accepted! I read the posts about this problem, but maybe you should be more careful because you apparently rejected my first two user names. I swear I'm a real person! Really!

I guess I was lucky to set up my account before the spam attack started. Someone really should spam the spammers! :crazy2:

It only took me two tries, but it took me a month before I read this and decided to try again. My first user name was probably too much like spam names and so I went with something simpler as you can see.
:yup:
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby Anonymizer » Thu May 05, 2011 3:15 pm

I have a friend who has been trying to get signed up for the last few weeks. What seems to be the problem?
Anonymizer
Greenhorn

Postby mrfish » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:44 am

Anonymizer wrote:I have a friend who has been trying to get signed up for the last few weeks. What seems to be the problem?

The same thing is happening to a friend of mine. He's tried signing up three times in the last two weeks and so far none of his accounts have been activated. What do you have to do to get accepted here? Submit a credit report or what? I read the post about all the spam accounts. Maybe his usernames looked to spammish or something. I try to get him to use a more normal username or something!
:dizzy:
mrfish
Backcountry Hiker

Postby FlyingPig » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:53 pm

mrfish wrote:
Anonymizer wrote:I have a friend who has been trying to get signed up for the last few weeks. What seems to be the problem?

The same thing is happening to a friend of mine. He's tried signing up three times in the last two weeks and so far none of his accounts have been activated. What do you have to do to get accepted here? Submit a credit report or what? I read the post about all the spam accounts. Maybe his usernames looked to spammish or something. I try to get him to use a more normal username or something!

It ONLY took me four tries before one of my usernames got accepted! :mad002:
(Now I've gotta figure out how to get my user picture thing loaded! It's a flying pig in case anyone wants to know!)
FlyingPig
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby James Sel » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:28 pm

welcome to the pen, ya fly'en pig
I'm Just Say'en
James Sel
Backcountry Hiker

Postby admin » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:48 pm

FlyingPig wrote:
mrfish wrote:

It ONLY took me four tries before one of my usernames got accepted! :mad002:
(Now I've gotta figure out how to get my user picture thing loaded! It's a flying pig in case anyone wants to know!)

Thanks for your persistence. There have been days where I've been spammed with over 100 fake account requests. Most of the names are obvious spam, but some are borderline and difficult to tell if they are spam or not. I can look at other information to make a determination, but that is extremely time-consuming.
admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Board Information